"The Clearance"

MidlifeFlyer

I flew to Philadelphia the last week of November. This was from fairly early in the flight and I thought this 4-minute video would be interesting on its own. Kudos to the Washington Center controller for patience and taking the time to spell things out.

I have a niece oversees who asks for videos (because we can’t be there). What are you using to get your audio out of the intercom? And what camera setup are you using?

I have a niece oversees who asks for videos (because we can’t be there). What are you using to get your audio out of the intercom? And what camera setup are you using?
The outside camera is a Drift Ghost - almost 3 hours battery life + connected to a tiedown ring. Inside I have an older GoPro Hero 4 and an Apeman (one of the cheap GoPro clones) connected to an external battery pack. Mounted with a suction cup mount. Audio is via an NFlightCam and a digital recorder plugged directly into back seat headset jacks. A lapel mic in the headset cup also works.

but I ain't no Jerry :D

Oh, @msmspilot, I should mention how much work anything other than a single camera and sending raw footage is. That 4 minute video took about 6 hours to put together.

I haven't seen anything from the Jerry Safety Institute as of recent.
He had one a few days ago. He is flying a borrowed (or leased) Golden Eagle while his is growing a new engine. Older steam gauge panel and a GNS. So far nothing super crazy although it seems he doesn't how to load an arrival in the GNS,

Oh, @msmspilot, I should mention how much work anything other than a single camera and sending raw footage is. That 4 minute video took about 6 hours to put together.
Oh, I’ve learned my lesson about video editing. I’m not a video editor!

But for a niece, I’ll do a single camera deal.:)

The controllers were nice and patient.

I've never had a clearance like that in the air, but I heard them a lot in SLC when I was doing X-Countries. My thoughts were how the hell do you get all that down with ATC talking so fast. All I could come back with, was experience. Lol.

I've never had a clearance like that in the air, but I heard them a lot in SLC when I was doing X-Countries. My thoughts were how the hell do you get all that down with ATC talking so fast. All I could come back with, was experience. Lol.
Also better pray you aren’t single pilot in actual, with no autopilot. That’s a lot of head down and back up time!

I think one part of the key is to avoid thinking. Just take down the letters and numbers. Analysis is for after you got it down correctly. The big takeaway for me is, it's ok to miss things so long as you don't pretend you got it.

Back