The cheapest/best place to convert FAA-JAR

Kimb

Hi! Im planning to go to the US to get FAA lisences. After the training ( if I dont find an American wife
wink.gif
) Im planning to convert my lisences to JAR. What is the cheapest place to do it in Europe?

I am looking into doing converting training to JAA in 06-07. I know there is a place in FL but i am not sure of the name. Iam looking at doing while an exchange student in Paris. there is a JAR (1.016) that grants credit for experiences (ratings etc). Unfortunately, the wording doesn't address exactly what training counts and how one goes about transferring a license. I will be glad to help if I can.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi! Im planning to go to the US to get FAA lisences. After the training ( if I dont find an American wife
wink.gif
) Im planning to convert my lisences to JAR. What is the cheapest place to do it in Europe?

[/ QUOTE ]

My suggestion would be to go to a school in Florida that does both JAA and FAA training, and do both sets of training concurrently. *Most* but NOT all JAA training can be done in the US. Certainly all the PPL training can be done. I believe the initial instrument rating test has to be done in JAA airspace.

Your best bet would be to talk to a flight training provider that does both and ask them your questions. If you're in the UK I would talk to Cabair, and mention to them that you want to train in the US. They own a substantial stake in Orlando Flight Training which does both JAA and FAA training, and you'll be able to come back to the UK and finish whatever you couldn't do in the US with Cabair.

There are other places that do the same thing, but I'm not familiar with the details.

Hope this helps,

Ray

I would go to Delta aviation academy Florida but the price for the howl process would cost about 80 000...
mad.gif

I think if you attended their program it would come with a one inch thick leather collar that had a tag that said:

\ Delta Academy/
\.................../

By the way where could I work with an FAA lisence? I have hearrd that it would be possible in the Far East.. Is it realistic that I'd go there with approximately 900 hours and got employed?
confused.gif

I do not know the specifics of each country, but I think what you'll find is that some countries will issue you an endorsement, allowing you to fly aircraft registered in their country for a particular company on the basis of your FAA certificate. Larger countries with a more established aviation system will require conversion to their license.

Ray

The quickest and cheapest route is to come to the U.S and get your FAA licenses and then convert. We do it here all the time.

Umm, that's gonna be a lot of pain for you to convert from FAA to JAA unless you have about 3000 jet hours, multicrew and least 500 jet PIC on your license. JAA makes it really hard, means you sit all 14 exams.

Better you do your flight training at a JAA place in the US (best bet would be somebody with in house examiner).

A license transfer from JAA to EASA is coming up during the next 2 years.

If you wanna get cost effective, you might want to look at a JAA training place in Slovenija. They provide good training at reasonable prices and the weather is very nice from spring to fall at the adria coast.

Cheers, fluf

@ Floridapilot - Do you have details about the conversion, since i would be interested. Still only have a "local" eurolicense and might need a JAR quickly for a new job.

Cheers, fluf

How hard are the exams? How much math and memorizing formulas is involved? How easy for someone with 3500TT to get a job in Europe?

The cheapest may very well be the place with the most starving CFI's.

But that's a whole 'nother story.

Sorry this post is a bit old, but just got my attention.

@FLpilot from Parisair
[ QUOTE ]
The quickest and cheapest route is to come to the U.S and get your FAA licenses and then convert. We do it here all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what?? Convert licenses?

How does this work?

The JAA exams are probably the most difficult academic challenge you will encounter in life. It's a 6-8 month course of 720hrs of groundschool, and there is a ton of math, including a lot of trigonometry. Don't worry too much about having to memorize the formulas. You can also do it by distance learning which I would not recommend unless you are highly motivated and can't attend a residential course. There are fourteen exams to pass. Please don't underestimate the JAA frozen ATPL theory course. Many people never pass all of the exams. Practical experience will help, ie the more flying hours the better.
But so much of the course is totally unrelated to "real life flying". Sample questions can also be found the JAA's website. The FAA is far more practical, but the JAA seems to try and weed out more potential pilots with this theory course. You have to learn a lot of stuff that navigators (1960's era) and flight engineers have to know. The current JAA course came into effect in 1999, so make sure that you talk to people who took the exams past this date, because they became much more difficult that year. If you would like more info then checkout www.pprune.org
The only school that I know of in the USA that offers this theory course is Naples Air Center, in Naples, Florida. Your best bet is to get waived into a JAR ATPL, but you need really high time on big jets. I think you can find that info on either pprune or the naples air center site. Converting the flying portion won't be near as difficult as the exam part. If you need anymore info you can private message me, good luck!!!

If you have your JAA how tough is it to get a job and to get a work permit? And is that only for Europe?

I did my JAA ATPL with Naples.. they were excellent. But there is nothing to stop you from doing any of the other UK courses.. like bristol.gs or oxfordaviation.net or several in Bournemouth or Cranfield.. do a search for them..

If you don't have a background in aeronautics, then I should say I have found Bristol and CATS (Cranfield) to be the bee's knees (thousands of pretty pictures).

I agree with the above. I was (am) an MEI/CFII/CFI etc and have found the transition.. hard work. I'd do the euro route first if you can. Flying wise too.. I'd get used to things back home first.. the UK is a pit of IMC most of the time.. awlful stuff. Alright once you get used to the r/t

just my six pence (cents, whatever)
:bandit:

Kimb said:
( if I dont find an American wife
wink.gif
)

In my opinion, you DON'T want an American wife!!

Well, at least I don't want another one!

Just my quick two cents.

Back