The best single piston?

[ QUOTE ]
2671.gif

HAHAHAH funniest thing in the world!!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit, its not mine. I've seen it on various forums, so who knows which person had it first.
smile.gif

C-172. Yeah yeah I know some of you are probably thinking its just a "plain vanilla" airplane but I couldn't even imagine what general aviation would be like without it.

OK, I need to clairfy

I realize that that was rather a vague question. Let me narrow it down some:

What is the best single-engine, piston aircraft for personal use? Think of things like: best balance between payload/range/speed/systems/operating cost.

This came to me because I noticed how relatively inexpensive the acquisition costs are for a malibu. Many are cheaper than a new 182. I then posted this on another board, and I got a lot of responses that said, essentially, the Malibu is a nice idea, but it CO$T$ LOT$ OF MONEY to operate, there are too many delicate systems, asking all of those systems to be run by a single 300 or 350 h.p. piston engine was too much, etc.

Most recommended that when I build enough experience, I would find something like a Seneca to be the better card to play. The operating costs were somehow less, the speed was respectable, the useful load was good, the systems weren't overly complicated for a civillian pilot, etc.

Now, after reading this, do you have any new or modified thoughts?

Is that P210 looking better?
tongue.gif

Hmm, I'm not sure if you'd consider this personal use, but just thought I'd weigh in with some dreamboats. Even the modern, more practical one is not quite in everyone's reach.

1. The SF260 MARCHETTI, the Ferrari of the skies in more ways than one.

2. The F4U Corsair. Perfect antidote to Kamikazes, just use that divine wind to show them what some pirates can do, Arrr.

sorry, I'll stop now

For personal use, speed, cost, range, payload, economy, durability and crash survivability, a C class Mooney is the way to go, Dozens of them the market at any given time for under 100k.

mooney-m20c.jpg

Re: OK, I need to clairfy

[ QUOTE ]
the Malibu is a nice idea, but it CO$T$ LOT$ OF MONEY to operate, there are too many delicate systems, asking all of those systems to be run by a single 300 or 350 h.p. piston engine was too much, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Is that P210 looking better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it? If you're worried about all of those systems in a Malibu being run by a 350 hp engine, you should really worry about a 210 then, as they are 285 hp. What systems does a Malibu have that a 210 doesn't? (I've never flown a Malibu, so I'm asking in all seriousness).

210=Flying Truck
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why would it? If you're worried about all of those systems in a Malibu being run by a 350 hp engine, you should really worry about a 210 then, as they are 285 hp. What systems does a Malibu have that a 210 doesn't? (I've never flown a Malibu, so I'm asking in all seriousness).

210=Flying Truck
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The 210R has 375 horses.......

Looks to me like a 210R has 300HP, and the 210R turbo has 325HP. That's according to landings.com performance database.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I've never seen nor flown a 375 HP C210- what engine does it have? Our T210 has the TIO-520, which is good for 310 BHP with a 5 min. limit, and 285 HP continuous.

Someone mentioned the SF260. Good call.

I also like the Mooney Ovation and the P210/T210.

Has anyone flown one of the new Commander 114s? I'd probably go for the turbo model if I had the cash.

oops, I mean the Commander 115

[ QUOTE ]
For personal use, speed, cost, range, payload, economy, durability and crash survivability, a C class Mooney is the way to go, Dozens of them the market at any given time for under 100k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woo, I second that. I don't own one (being a college student), but I have a good amount of hours in my flying club's M20C. Great airplane. Just don't stick anyone in the back.
wink.gif

I just flew the Cirrus SR-22 today. That thing is awesome! I'd reccomend that as the best piston single, but it's a bit pricy. I think the best single is the cherokee 6. Not the fastest, but it will haul it's weight in cargo. A good one can be had for less than $100K, easy on maintence and insurance.

Back