The best aviation book

jetman

What are some of the best aviation books you ever read?
This are some of the ones i liked[ in no particular order]:

Yeager [autobiography]
Carrying the fire[ M Collins CM Pilot Apollo 11]
Lonely Sky [B.Bridgeman test pilot]
Combat Report [WW1 Aces]
Duel of Eagles[Battle of Britain]

Job Hunting For Pilots by Gregory Brown. Gave me a little idea of what I will be up for later.

- Flying the Big Jets
- Handling the Big Jets

Both great books for interviews and consolidation after ATP study! Definitely recommend them to anyone studying for an interview.
Although they might put you to sleep if youre not careful.

"for fun" aviation reading:

Flight of Passage
North Star Over My Shoulder
Inside the Sky: A Meditation on Flight
Fate is the Hunter

"for knowledge" reading:

Weather Flying
Stick and Rudder
A Pilot's Guide to Aircraft and their Systems
Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual
(ok, I'm 'systems challenged', I'm a girl
smirk.gif
...so I'm trying to get some knowledge in this arena...)
and last but not least - whatever Gleim book I have my nose in at any given time, currently the Commercial book...

Sarah

Currently I'm reading "The Proficient Pilot" volume 1 by Barry Schiff. It seems pretty interesting, but I think it is more for the experienced pilot rather than someone planning on becoming one.

Stick and Rudder, by Wolfgang Langweische

Weather Flying, by Bob Buck, whom I met last week and also his son. Very nice, both of them, they signed my copy and invited me to their house if I or my friends are ever gliding at Sugarbush Airport where they base their glider.

Understanding the Sky, by Dennis Pagen

Captain by Earl E. Rogers...a must read for anyone with ambitions to pursue aviation professionally.

hands down the 2004 FAR/AIM!

You should see what's new this year!

It'll knock yer socks off!

Oh man, that stinkin thing is out already? Dammit, that means I have drop another $30 that could be better used elsewhere (read: food).

Hmm...maybe I will just go into work some night and print the entire thing out from the FAA website. Not my ink/paper...see how my • boss likes being used for once...
grin.gif

Fate is the Hunter is my all-time favorite.

As for general knowledge:
Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual
Global Navigation for Pilots
Fly The Wing

I'm currently reading Professional Pilot, by John Lowery. It has some interesting insights on safety issues.

"Hard Landing" is more of a business perspective as to why this industry is so whacky but it's really good.

I have a Smithsonian "100 Years of Aviation" that's good.

"Fate is The Hunter" by far my favorite.

Stick and Rudder

And IFR for VFR Pilots is one I often recomend to my students who have obtained the PPL VFR...

Technical -
The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual: Brown & Holt
Loads of good info and presented in a very understandable way even for someone with no turbine knowledge

Fun -
West With The Night: Beryl Markham
From other people I have talked to it seems to be love or hate with this book, mostly love.

Did you read Beryl Markham's book, "West with the Night"? I knew her fairly well in Africa and never would have suspected that she could and would put pen to paper except to write in her flyer's log book. As it is, she has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and some times making an okay pig pen. I wish you would get it and read it because it is really a bloody, wonderful book.

-Ernest Hemingway

"Captain" by Earl Rogers is great book, especially if you're going the civilian route towards a professional pilot career. Right now I'm also reading a book called "Redefining Airmanship" by Tony Kern. If you want to become well informed of the human factors involved in flying, I highly suggest it.

Back