The 10 Hour Multi Engine Addon Expirience

difete

I went to their Birmingham location and got the Multi-Commercial-Instrument addon. I write this in the forum to inform those who are interested in ALLATPS to know in detail how they operate.

This is a 4 day course, I was a little concerned about my abilities to learn to fly a multi in only 4 days and approx 8 hours before the checkride. But it all went smooth and the instruction was A++
smirk.gif

First I live in Memphis, so a drive to Birmingham was 4 hours, and stayed at a Super 8 motel. The motel was not the best, but good enough for a 4 day stay.

The first day (2/07/03). The weather that day had low ceilings and was really rainy. My instructor did not feel confident enough to go flying because the freezing level was pretty low. Tops were forecast at 4000ft and a ceiling of 1000ft. So he just gave me 3-4 hours of ground, where we reviewed the Suplement they send you in advance of the start date, and all the performance charts for the airplane. Pretty much what they teach you, you will be asked in the Checkride oral exam, so its not a tough oral for the multi addon. That same day I met the examiner. He used to fly F-4 Phantoms, and now he is a Fedex captain flying the DC-10s. He was really friendly, and a very easy going person.

The second day (2/08/03) The weather was starting to break up, and once we were ready for takeoff, skies were scattered. We were flying a Piper Seminole year 2000, tail number N127AT. The controls and layout of the seminole are very intuitive, and easy to locate arround the cockpit. We took off and went to the practice area. Once we were in the air, all my concerns disaperared. An airplane is an airplane, no matter if its a multi or a single, once you fly it, you will know what I mean. I was also excited about the disapearance of the left turning tendencies like the ones you expirience in singles. I was excited to see a cruise speed of 140 KIAS and a climb of 1800-2000fpm. I also realized that it requires a more careful flying to stay ahead of the airplane, as speeds really get you going fast.
smile.gif

We practiced steep turns, and one thing to observe here is that the maneuvering speed (Va) for the seminole is 130KIAS, so any error on the steep turn will cause an almost instant 200 feet loss of altitude during the maneuver. This was the toughest maneuver for me. We also did power off and on stalls, and he pulled an engine out
mad.gif
, I did all the required cheks to feather it and and get best performance of the operating one, and all went smooth. It really wasn't that catastrophic to loose an engine, but the decrease in performance was really obvious.
grin.gif
Then we did the Vmc demo (not a very hard maneuver at all), followed by slow flight, and at the end we shot two ILS approaches, one with both engines, and another without one of the engines. That was cool, and I had a great time. The instructor said that was the format of the checkride, and we would be practicing this every day.
smirk.gif

Day Three (2/09/03) we did three sessions of 2 hours each that day, it was exhousting, but after all that training, I felt confident on the airplane.
smirk.gif

Day Four (2/10/03) Day of the checkride. The weather was not good again, but the examiner filed for us an IFR flightplan with boundaries on two radials of the Vulcan VOR and the airport for maneuvering and a block from 3000 to 6000ft. That was neat, I managed to log PIC multi in actaul IFR for the checkride!!
grin.gif
All went smooth, having the examiner on board was like having a friend in there, and I felt very confident on every maneuver except on steep turns. But all went well, and that day I became a Commercial Single and Multi Engine Instrument Pilot. Man!! that sounds glorious!!
smirk.gif

Well I hope this helps you guys interested in ALLATPS get a glance of the Multi Engine addon course they offer. Email me if you guys have any questions. I want to thank all the people dedicated to these forums, they were very helpful in helping me decide which path to take to get my liscences.

For the record:
I visited Flight Safety and Panam Flight Academy, but they were very expensive. I decided to go the FBO route upto my commercial single engine instrument rating, and then do the 10 hour Multi addon. Now im saving to go get the Total CFI addon ALLATPS offer, im planning to go around March 3rd.

cool.gif
Well thats all folks!!
And remember that if I
crazy.gif
could do this you can too!

QUOTE: There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots!!
smirk.gif

difete: Check your private messages. It's the little white flashing flag in the upper left hand corner of your screen. Thanks!

R2F

Hey, just found out how private messages work. Anyway, thanks for the respond. My expirience was excellent, really.
There is a Piper Duchess for rent here at a local FBO for $230 an hour. 10 hours X $230 = $2300, but when I did the multi course, it was: $1695 the course + $200 hotel 4 days +$100 in gas, and a little groceries I did with survival food for four days. (Survival Food: Bananas, Poptarts, Soy Milk, Cheesedogs, Bread, Bottled Water, and plenty of Ramen Noodles) for a total of = $1,995. Training done in a 2000 Seminole with dual Garmin 430 GPS, and HSI equiped. (Did I mention the Duchess is a 1979? with ADF still?
crazy.gif
)

On March I will be going to do the instructor course. I'm a little nervous about it, but we'll see. Tommorrow I'm going to deposit the $500 for reserving the class date, and the training materials. I dont have a Second class medical. According to the website I will need one. I'll check on that tommorrow too.

Oh, and by the way here is my real business:
Buy these exclusive funny faces to show your state of being on forums:
ooo.gif
The non-refundable $50,000 face $1.99
mad.gif
The I am upset at "this flightschool!!" face for $2.99
cool.gif
The I'm in a Florida flight school face for $1.99
smile.gif
The I am content at my FBO face for $.99
frown.gif
The my wallet run out of flight time face for $3.99
blush.gif
The I did not pass the checkride face for $8.99
smirk.gif
The I am the next best thing to Tom Cruise face $1.99
confused.gif
The what in the world is adverse yaw face $2.99
grin.gif
The $60,000 Flight school recruiter face $22.99
wink.gif
The Jetcareer forum "Look before you go Broke" face $priceless, for everything else, there is mommy and daddy's wallet.

**ADD TO CART PRESS HERE **

[ QUOTE ]
There is a Piper Duchess for rent here at a local FBO for $230 an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY BLESSED MOTHER OF PEARL!!!

$230 an HOUR?!?!?! FOR A DUCHESS???? Do you get fries with that???? Geez..... I can stomach that $130 an hour a little better now.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HOLY BLESSED MOTHER OF PEARL!!!

$230 an HOUR?!?!?! FOR A DUCHESS???? Do you get fries with that???? Geez..... I can stomach that $130 an hour a little better now.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!
grin.gif

I was thinking exactly the same thing (with the exception of the side of fries)
grin.gif

Doesn't quite compare to Christiansen's rates!

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't quite compare to Christiansen's rates!

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding man!! Course, nothing anywhere compares to their rates.
smirk.gif

Heck, 230 an hour is more than Rape...errr.... Drake Aviation over here charges. I think they would even laugh at that price, and they're the king of bending over people........well, except for maybe Spartan at $130 an hour for a 172......
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
well, except for maybe Spartan at $130 an hour for a 172

[/ QUOTE ]

For a 172? I was talking to a guy in the lobby of Enrique's in Ponca that said he paid $130/hr for a 152 with an instructor...

Either way... Ouch!

[ QUOTE ]
For a 172?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Mike B and I were eating at Piper's a few weeks ago, and some Spartan people were in there and Mike started giving them crap about how much they were paying, and something to the effect of that lunch at Piper's must be a big meal out for them....hahaha

[ QUOTE ]
$130/hr for a 152 with an instructor

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell ya what man, for 130 an hour, that instructor better wash my car, do my laundry and cook for me.
smirk.gif

Mike... He cracks me up! What a great guy, and he ALWAYS knows where to get the best grub!
grin.gif

I'll have to go fly with him sometime...

Mike definitely rocks. He is the definition of "laid back" He's got all kinds of little tricks he uses when flying. I would highly recommend flying with him sometime, also for the info on grub. haha
grin.gif

$230 for a Duchess? Holy crap!

Wait, is that the BE-76PT6A with the Pratt & Whitney PT6 turboprops on it?

It's the 180 hp recip version? Yeeeeeeow!

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, is that the BE-76PT6A with the Pratt & Whitney PT6 turboprops on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha...... PT-6's on a Duchess....... wouldn't that be kinda like strapping a Saturn V rocket on a fly?
grin.gif

No kidding - the old-a$$ed Beech Travel-Air we have for training at the FBO where I train rents for $175/hr. That seems like a bargain in comparison to $238!!

Sheesh!

A BE-95's only got 180 HP and that weird throttle quadrant!

My buddy Ed had one in college that we'd go goof around in sometimes. Cool aircraft!

Kind of Baronish, kind of queen-airish...

Back