Thank God I didnt Go to.....

I believe it jumped from 60 to 64.75 IIRC and we almost had a riot. Seems silly compared to the $120 an hour for a 172. I think I completed my multi at 130 or 140 an hour?

Our 172's had the 180 horse and the skylights in the wing. mmmmm donuts.
In 2003 in the Seminole was more like $220 in DAB for me. That included the instructor though IIRC. So I would say $170/hr but I'm just pulling #'s out of my butt (and a finger).

Mesa's A36's were $120 and $24/hr for CFI. The Baron, well, I can't remember, but somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. But that thing had 600 horses on it and burned a crap ton of gas while training.

I'm finishing up my Master's at ERAU, just have to finish my capstone so not sure it counts as I didn't technically go there. Anyway, from my perspective, it is way overpriced for what you get. I liked the classses, most were easy, right up my alley. You pay your fee, get your B. Granted, my masters was paid for by the Navy/GI BIll so free is good but if I were going to go undergrad, I'd rather go to a regular school with girls, prties..beer, girls, etc.

Now to each their own but I don't understand those who want to fly military and spend all this money on an aviation school. With an NROTC scholarship, sure, it's free though it's still not a regular school...like a large campus, living the college life (I'm guessing on this one, ERAU guys can correct me obviously). The military teaches you every thing you need to know for flying. I've flown with a few ERAU grads and I've seen hardly a difference between them and those with no flight time. I'm talking about those who got the flight time.

I can say that without a doubt, my affiliation with ERAU got me my first aviation job, as well as the interview with my current employer.

Also... I'm 3.5 years removed from college, and I've been debt free for the last 6 months. There's a right way and a wrong way to do Riddle.... I went to community college for the last two years of high school, and then graduated high school with an AA. Oh, and the state of WA payed for everything except books. Got my PPL the summer after graduating, and then went down to PRC, put my head down, and got out as fast and cheap as possible. For those that want to get in, get done, and get out as soon as possible.... it can be a great school. For those that want to go to school to drink beer, student loan payments can be a decade worth of beer money wasted.

I can say that without a doubt, my affiliation with ERAU got me my first aviation job, as well as the interview with my current employer.

Also... I'm 3.5 years removed from college, and I've been debt free for the last 6 months. There's a right way and a wrong way to do Riddle.... I went to community college for the last two years of high school, and then graduated high school with an AA. Oh, and the state of WA payed for everything except books. Got my PPL the summer after graduating, and then went down to PRC, put my head down, and got out as fast and cheap as possible. For those that want to get in, get done, and get out as soon as possible.... it can be a great school. For those that want to go to school to drink beer, student loan payments can be a decade worth of beer money wasted.

I agree. I'd post what I'm paying each month toward student loan debt, but it'd just make me sad. :oops:

I agree. I'd post what I'm paying each month toward student loan debt, but it'd just make me sad. :oops:
Same here.
I do love the sob stories on the news about the girl that is struggling because she has 35k in student loan debt.
I can't imagine how easy that would be to pay off.

For the record, I graduated Riddle in 82. And, while I enjoyed the college experience, I wish I had done things differently. Going to Riddle certainly didn't help me at all in my career. Checking the degree square on the app is huge, though. Having fun in college, Riddle or otherwise, is priceless.

I used the GI/Bill to get about 3/4 of my degree from ERAU in Daytona. Now I'm finishing the remaining online from ERAU Worldwide. While ERAU wasn't exactly the "college life" I had in mind, I still had a good time and met some good people. I was 22 when I start there in 2010 and had just finished 4 years as a Navy engineer so I was ready to buckle down anyway. I got my "willies" out as a sailor. I enjoyed the AeroSci classes and thought they were pretty interesting. I'm a huge aviation nerd, so I was happy with my decision. Now if I was paying out of pocket like some of my friends, I would have happily gone to community college then a state school near my home.

To each his own.

Doug and I have you by about 8 years or so.

Junior. :D

Someone asked me this morning if I knew _________ from Evergreen.

"Nope, sure don't...when was this?"
"Oh, about 20 years ago."
"Dude, I was 8!"

Must be the premature gray. :(

Perhaps I don't have the right perspective, but this post smacks of gloating.

Glad things worked out for you. Please make sure you spell patient prescriptions accurately.

I did Riddle only after JC route, stayed 18 months to get my degree not too bad on the pocket book. Did not do the flight program as it was way too costly just out of a FBO. Did the airline thing, but went into LE and fly on the side. I have great bennies, pay is amazing make as much as I want and what I do is fun. It truly is funny to see how people act. Needless to say I believe in education and thing all should do as much as they can, but make it what you want.

Had a blast in Daytona when I attended school there. However there are plenty of way to save money. Some people do their general education requirements at a community college, then transfer as a junior. Others, like me, go to school there on campus, and then finish through ERAU Worldwide, which isn't bad either. Flight training can be done separately which also saves even more money.

You can easily argue against medical school - the earliest you graduate is age 26, pay during residency is less than $20/hr. By the time you make any money is 30. Depending on your specialty you can earn as little as $80,000 and you likely have to deal with being called in at all sorts of hours and for all sorts of ridiculous things making a rather poor QOL. There are many more careers with better salaries and QOL than becoming a doctor.

If you want to live and breath aviation then Riddle is the place to be. They have a lot of good programs outside of flying. Looking back I wish I had stayed and taken better advantage of their programs.

Back