Texas

wolfeman

Hello,
Is there any pilots in south Texas? Does any one know of any Good FBO for Flgiht Training in Texas? Thank you!

Hello,
Is there any pilots in south Texas? Does any one know of any Good FBO for Flgiht Training in Texas? Thank you!

Yeah, I live in South Texas. However we need more specific info from you...South Texas is about the size of Florida.

What part of South Texas are you interested in?

As for San Antonio the flight training is somewhat limited, but there is enough to get things done.

There is a flight school at KSAT called wright flyers. Its a pretty big school, over priced IMO and tend to specialize in the chinese students these days http://www.wrightflyers.com

There is a small flight school KSAT San Antonio Aero club
http://www.saac.us Decent prices and good equipment

Just outside san antonio is a small fbo located near Beorne TX.
http://www.5c1.net this is your more typical small uncontrolled airfield fbo.

There is another flightschool located in south san antonio called sky safety I only mention them to tell you dont even bother going there. Its just not a very good flight school...and thats NOT just my opinion.

PM me if you want some more specifics on San Antonio I would be happy to help you.

There is another flightschool located in south san antonio called sky safety I only mention them to tell you dont even bother going there. Its just not a very good flight school...and thats NOT just my opinion.

Really?

I used to teach there last year and thought it was really well run. Small schoool, reasonable prices, nice airplanes, and a lot of experianced CFIs. I thought it was one of the better places around SAT. Much better than AT, or WrightFlyers.

Maybe things have changed in the past year.

I also liked SAAC, except that it's based out of SAT.

Beorne was also reall nice, I did some glider flights there.

I just recently finished up my PPL here in San Antonio and will pass on a couple of things.

As for SkySafety, I (just ME) would not recommend them. They seem to cater to the many international students and the "FBO part 61" kinda guys (like me and perhaps you) get the short end of the stick. I started @ KCVB (they had 3 planes there) and was great (uncontrolled field, quick hop to the practice area) but eventually all the planes moved to KSSF (controlled, so no T/G's and a farther ride to the practice area) and I had to drive a lot farther. There were often schduling issues that complicated things as well. They have some rules that I didn't like too much...for example, you aren't allowed to do solo work unless YOUR instructor was physically at the school. My instructor took A LOT of time off, so it made for difficult scheduling. Anyway, that is my opinion on SkySafety.

I finished up @ 5C1 and HIGHLY recommend them. They have quite a few airplanes (although not pretty and none of that fancy glass stuff) and the instructors are available almost 24/7. The rates CANNOT be beat anywhere around these parts. The gliders are a little annoying, but not too bad and KERV is just up the road (about 10 minutes) and very useful for T/G work.

Most of the other schools I am not sure about but I know this: They are quite a bit more expensive and they are at KSAT, so you have to go somewhere else to practice...that can be kinda a pain.

Anyway, that is just me. If you have questions, drop a PM...

I just recently finished up my PPL here in San Antonio and will pass on a couple of things.

As for SkySafety, I (just ME) would not recommend them. They seem to cater to the many international students and the "FBO part 61" kinda guys (like me and perhaps you) get the short end of the stick. I started @ KCVB (they had 3 planes there) and was great (uncontrolled field, quick hop to the practice area) but eventually all the planes moved to KSSF (controlled, so no T/G's and a farther ride to the practice area) and I had to drive a lot farther. There were often schduling issues that complicated things as well. They have some rules that I didn't like too much...for example, you aren't allowed to do solo work unless YOUR instructor was physically at the school. My instructor took A LOT of time off, so it made for difficult scheduling. Anyway, that is my opinion on SkySafety.

I finished up @ 5C1 and HIGHLY recommend them. They have quite a few airplanes (although not pretty and none of that fancy glass stuff) and the instructors are available almost 24/7. The rates CANNOT be beat anywhere around these parts. The gliders are a little annoying, but not too bad and KERV is just up the road (about 10 minutes) and very useful for T/G work.

Most of the other schools I am not sure about but I know this: They are quite a bit more expensive and they are at KSAT, so you have to go somewhere else to practice...that can be kinda a pain.

Anyway, that is just me. If you have questions, drop a PM...

PM sent

I know that the flight school at Stinson is very popular, I know one of their CFIs and they have an excellent program. Perhaps the only disadvantage is the airfield is one of the more popular transition bases for the T-6A Texans out of Randolph AFB so the pattern can be full plus the VFR work area is south of town so in the midst of all the departures from SAT and Randolph. All the aircraft at Randolph are TCAS-equipped so we are able to see all the VFR aircraft working the area when we are departing south to the local low levels and transitioning over to Kelly/Lackland AFB.

I know that the flight school at Stinson is very popular, I know one of their CFIs and they have an excellent program. Perhaps the only disadvantage is the airfield is one of the more popular transition bases for the T-6A Texans out of Randolph AFB so the pattern can be full plus the VFR work area is south of town so in the midst of all the departures from SAT and Randolph. All the aircraft at Randolph are TCAS-equipped so we are able to see all the VFR aircraft working the area when we are departing south to the local low levels and transitioning over to Kelly/Lackland AFB.

Really? The T-38's are tcas equiped? When did that happen? The pattern at Stinson can get very very crowded. There are times (coming in from the north) SA Approach will not even let you go down there!

I see this is your first post, welcome to JC. What do you do at Randolph? You an instructor? or learning to be an instructor?

The airspace is pretty darn busy around here. I didn't realize HOW busy until I go up in the C-5 and see our TCAS lit up. As a matter of fact, it isn't too uncommon to get a couple of RAs a month, mostly from the GA traffic south of the field. When I started flying GA stuff, I went out and got me one of those PCAS units...well worth the $500 IMHO.

The airspace is pretty darn busy around here. I didn't realize HOW busy until I go up in the C-5 and see our TCAS lit up. As a matter of fact, it isn't too uncommon to get a couple of RAs a month, mostly from the GA traffic south of the field. When I started flying GA stuff, I went out and got me one of those PCAS units...well worth the $500 IMHO.

Garrad, whats real fun is when returning from T89 to Ksat and approach crosses you over a C5 on final. The last time they did that they said traffic 1 oclock 500 below...500 over the top of fred does NOT look like 500 feet! It is one heck of a view! I bet the view from inside is even better!
by the way, I still have not seen your Cherokee! I need to get out there sometime soon and see it! You still at 5C1 or have you moved?

Are you a PIT instructor?

Hello,

I'm looking for the same info wolfeman. I'm moving down to Houston in a couple months and am reconsidering my choice to attend DCA. Let me know if you get any good info in the Houston area. Kind of a must train in Houston becaue my wife will be going to school down there as well. Or if anyone has any good insight on training down in Houston I would be VERY greatful for the info. I've done a lot of research but would like some first hand knowledge of the places down there.

Dutch Wings looks like a great place. I haven't been there yet, but I plan to chem them out soon. What part of Houston are you moving to?

Dutch Wings looks like a great place. I haven't been there yet, but I plan to chem them out soon. What part of Houston are you moving to?

PM sent. Moving to Humble (NE Houston?) LOL. Haven't been there, my wifes sister moved down there a couple years ago and I'm getting out of the Army so were moving down there. I'm gonna finish up my flight training and my wife is going to Dental Hygiene school at Kingwood I think. Looking for a 141 VA approved school. Hooks is a lot closer than where I would be training at with DCA if I decided to train there.

Dutch Wings looks like a great place. I haven't been there yet, but I plan to chem them out soon.

You keep saying that but never show up:). You are long past due for a visit. Let me know when you're headed over and I will personally give you the "grand tour".

You keep saying that but never show up:). You are long past due for a visit. Let me know when you're headed over and I will personally give you the "grand tour".

I agree I am very past due and there is no excuse. About this "grand tour", do I get anything free at the end? Such as a hat, t-shirt, charts, books, etc??:)

Back