Teaching Commercial Ground

CaliforniaSurfer

Hey everyone,

I have a commercial student and I need to give some ground on what it means to be a commercial pilot and come up with some good scenarios.

What are some good resources (websites/books) y'all can recommend.

Thanks

"About all you can do realisticaly is flight instruct."

There endeth the lesson.
grin.gif

I dunno I'd point him to the fars (119). And impress upon him/her that, really, the commercial certificate in-and-of-itself is probably one of the most useless certificates he or she will ever earn. It only becomes usefull once you add 1,000 hours of flight time, or a CFI certificate, or a type rating or some combination thereof. It's basically the entrance fee to the commercial world but once you're in the park you still have to wait in line for the rides.

Outside of flight instructing and possible the occasional parachute drop there just aren't m/any jobs for the newly minted commercial pilot – practically speaking.

[ QUOTE ]
And impress upon him/her that, really, the commercial certificate in-and-of-itself is probably one of the most useless certificates he or she will ever earn. It only becomes usefull once you add 1,000 hours of flight time, or a CFI certificate, or a type rating or some combination thereof. It's basically the entrance fee to the commercial world but once you're in the park you still have to wait in line for the rides.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find that in the PTS.

My favorite questions are senerio questions dealing with airworthiness and common cariage.

1. Your a newly minted commerical pilot. Someone wants you to fly their Cessna 180 from Tulsa to Phoenix for an annual. What will you need to fly the trip.

1a. Turns out the aircraft is out of annual. What will you do now?

2. Your boss buys a Lear 35 for you to fly him around in. What part (91/121/125/135) should you operate under. What additional training will you need to act as PIC? To act as SIC? What happens when your boss's buddies friend breaks down and the boss wants you to fly his buddy around, what part can you operate under? What if your boss wants to impress clients and needs you to fly them somewhere, what part do you operate under?

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't find that in the PTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's under area of op I, task A.

CS if I were to take a Comm ground school I would really enjoy some kind of look at decision making. I'm not talking about the FAA's ADM. I mean a look at actual events and NTSB reports, etc. and then dissecting them to figure out what could have been done to prevent it. Beyond a couple more systems and a few more FARs, the ground knowledge for the commercial is just like the private which the students either already know or can review mostly on their own.

I was unclear, my apologies.

I am not teaching a formal ground school for commercial students. I only want to know where I can get some good examples/scenarios on commercial operations, what you can and can't do. I need a little refresher myself.

Thanks

Fars 91, 135, 121, 119 (119 is the most applicable to the new commercial pilot).

As far as scenarios ... anything could be agood question. Heres one: Can a commercialy rated pilot who owns his own aircraft fly a friend to Wichita and be paid for the flight? Why?

Same scenario but this time the friend supplies a rented aircraft ... how does this change things?

The owner of a small manufacturing company puts an ad in the paper looking for a pilot to fly the company aircraft. He only wants 250 hours. Can a new commercial pilot apply (and if successful) and accept the job? What questions should the applicant ask about the job?

[ QUOTE ]
"And impress upon him/her that, really, the commercial certificate in-and-of-itself is probably one of the most useless certificates he or she will ever earn. It only becomes usefull once you add 1,000 hours of flight time, or a CFI certificate, or a type rating or some combination thereof. It's basically the entrance fee to the commercial world but once you're in the park you still have to wait in line for the rides.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds negative and bitter. Hopefully that attitude is only showing up here and not in any job interviews
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"And impress upon him/her that, really, the commercial certificate in-and-of-itself is probably one of the most useless certificates he or she will ever earn. It only becomes usefull once you add 1,000 hours of flight time, or a CFI certificate, or a type rating or some combination thereof. It's basically the entrance fee to the commercial world but once you're in the park you still have to wait in line for the rides.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds negative and bitter. Hopefully that attitude is only showing up here and not in any job interviews
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's neither. It's simply the truth.

Back