TBM-700 crashed killing 2 at my airport :-(

Mahesh

Hey all,
I am out of town but I heard about this from one of my flying buddies. May they all rest in peace.

Mahesh

Two Killed, One Injured in Leesburg Plane Crash
Updated: Saturday, Mar. 1, 2003 - 4:59 PM EST.

(LEESBURG,Va.) - Two people have died and one person is seriously injured after a small plane crash near downtown Leesburg Saturday.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Salac says the Socata TBM 700 turboprop plane crashed in someone's back yard at Market and Ayr streets at 3:15 p.m.

All three victims were inside of the plane, which can carry four to six passengers and there is no indication that anyone on the ground was hurt.

Salac says the plane was cleared to land at Leesburg Executive Airport -- two miles from the crash site.

She says the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate.

Police, fire and hazmat units are now on the scene.
frown.gif

The third passenger died at the hospital. Form the newa so far, it was very foggy when witnesses saw the plane (suddenly turn and descend). I think the pilot was trying to aviod houses because he placed the big plane between 4 houses.

Mahesh

I was flying in and out of Dulles and heard the ELT. The Potomac Departure controller asked us to monitor it at one point and let him know if the signal got stronger or fainter. I had guessed that it was close to Leesburg, but I figured that someone had just landed hard to set off the ELT.

Back