Tanker Contract

Hi Guys,
What are the options? An off the shelf commercial aircraft? Well, so far we are zero for two there. A new-build aircraft? Probably not a viable solution, because it will be way too expensive. Leasing aircraft? This is a realistic possibility, and in use by some NATO nations to meet some of their tanker needs. The Air Force needs to maintain it's own organic tanker/cargo capabilty, but I think that it would be cost-effective to move more of the routine cargo/tanker missions into the private sector.
Well, this long-winded and probably not too coherent analysis and problem solving is mercifully over! What do y'all think?

Regards,

bored in crewroom

I don't think a tanker lease deal will be in the cards at all, in light of the boondoggle that went down after the last lease proposal.

Either way, we need something, rather than having nothing. Could the myriad of DC-10s in parked in various places be pulled and converted to KC-10s, or are they timed out?

I don't think a tanker lease deal will be in the cards at all, in light of the boondoggle that went down after the last lease proposal.

Either way, we need something, rather than having nothing. Could the myriad of DC-10s in parked in various places be pulled and converted to KC-10s, or are they timed out?

Oh goodness, any parked DC-10 aircraft have had their fun in the sun and are probably being close to being timed out & not worth the money to convert, plus, the cockpit of the DC-10 would have to be modernized as well.

If there was talk about used aircraft, then, the A-330 would make better sense, as, those aircraft will be hitting the used aircraft market when the A-350 hits the tarmac, but, that won't happen till 2015 or later......

:yeahthat: I never flew the block 40 versions, but they look a little better. It's always been a case of new-fangled GPS system hooked in like frankenstein to a 50 year old first generation autopilot.

Block 40 GATM has changed this aspect. Rockwell Collins has integrated FD/AP/FMS etc and re-wired the entire panel.

Oh goodness, any parked DC-10 aircraft have had their fun in the sun and are probably being close to being timed out & not worth the money to convert, plus, the cockpit of the DC-10 would have to be modernized as well..

Actually, I think they have a lot of life remaining in them. Strong airplane. Upgrade them to MD-10s and it might be the cheapest way to go.

Back