"Tango" prefix...

EatSleepFly

\"Tango\" prefix...

Question for you 135 pilots- do you use the "Tango" prefix before your callsign on initial callup with an ATC facility? Its in the AIM (or at least, it was last I knew) but I rarely hear it used except by a few here and there.

Should I/we be using it, or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: \"Tango\" prefix...

I'm not 135, but...

I heard they were doing away with the prefixes. However, when pulling up our clearances on ACARS PDC, it always comes up at T/SF34/A. I would just throw it in there, why not.

It's optional. We use it when we will be in high traffic areas or special use airspace. It sometimes helps around TFRs, sometimes not.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that's what he was referring to. I'm confused!
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's refering to the "T" prefix for 135 operators...

[ QUOTE ]
Should I/we be using it, or doesn't it really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had never used the "tango" prefix before 9/11. Since then we use it on all Part 135 legs. I don't think it really matters unless something happens again and they decide to only let commercial operators fly.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that's what he was referring to. I'm confused!
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope...no TCAS for us (yet)!
grin.gif

Its a way to identify to ATC that you're a 135 flight if you don't have an assigned callsign.

Like AirNet, for instance, has the "Starcheck" callsign. Well, we don't have one, so techincally we are supposed to use "Tango" in front of the tail number on initial callup if its a 135 leg.

"Center, King Air Tango-November 12345 level FL180"

Back