Talk about making a mistake..

Emergency engine shutdown? Doesn't look like there's much of an engine left to actually.....shut down. :)

Hawker is built well.

MiG pilot was sent VFR-direct to command a small WX station at the bottom of the Aleutian chain.......for the rest of his career.

Amazing! I can't believe the thing stayed together. I guess they know how to build a sturdy airplane. But I think there is more to this story. It was a "mistake?" Hmmm. Carrying a president? Hmmm.....

Amazing! I can't believe the thing stayed together. I guess they know how to build a sturdy airplane. But I think there is more to this story. It was a "mistake?" Hmmm. Carrying a president? Hmmm.....

You may very well be right. At the same time though, consider that this is standard third-world country stuff. Much like the shootdown of a Cessna being flown by missionaries being shot down by Peruvian AF A-37s in 2001.

You may very well be right. At the same time though, consider that this is standard third-world country stuff. Much like the shootdown of a Cessna being flown by missionaries being shot down by Peruvian AF A-37s in 2001.
AND the two Blackhawks over Northern Iraq........and Ron Brown....and so it goes on and on.......

AND the two Blackhawks over Northern Iraq........and Ron Brown....and so it goes on and on.......

My mothers former boss who was also a close friend of hers was among the 34 killed in that crash with Ron Brown.

So the second missile hit the engine again as it separated? This guy really wanted to finish the job huh?

Hawker is built well.

MiG pilot was sent VFR-direct to command a small WX station at the bottom of the Aleutian chain.......for the rest of his career.
That place is called Shemya Air Force Base, I worked with a guy in our AF Power Production shop that was stationed there for a year. To hear him tell it, it was pure suck.

Back on topic, it looks like the whole accessory gearbox is hanging off that thing. Crazy.

Bad thing: he lost power on the #2

Good thing: no drag, and reduced weight.

I wonder if the Mig pilot was acting on orders or had the authority to take it upon himself. Even for a 3rd world country, seems bizarre with ATC fully aware of the planes presence.

I wonder if the Mig pilot was acting on orders or had the authority to take it upon himself. Even for a 3rd world country, seems bizarre with ATC fully aware of the planes presence.

Unless Center was in on it.......

:confused2:

Hawker is built well.

Ummmm, in AMERICA probably. But this is Angola!

I say the pilot was executed to show the Botswana Gov't it was truly an accident. That is..... If that incident was not a failed assassination attempt. In which case the pilot was probably still executed to show good face to the Botswana Gov't that the incident was truly an accident.

That MiG pilot suffered an "accident" of his own I'm sure, except it was probably fatal.

Back