Taking the plunge

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't done any crosswind landings until you've flown in Kansas!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love it. Although I officially fly out of Missouri (the KS border is the river that borders my airport), I fly into KS all the time. At least over here in MO we have a few small hills to help stop the screaming wind. It ain't a normal day in winter if there's not an airmet Tango!

I was flying with my instructor about 3 weeks ago and winds were 22G30, runway heading. We took off and tower requested we turn in front of the downtown skyline to expedite our east departure so a jet could get off behind us. I did as requested (which requires a pretty tight turn and climb, we usually go 'round the south side of the buildings), cringed, and waited. As we passed right in front of the skyscrapers, it hit, and I don't think I relaxed my kung-fu grip of the yoke for another 10 minutes.
blush.gif
They act as a huge wind tunnel - and that south wind was screaming right through them and hit us as we passed by the north side. Same flight we did 5kt GS in the Arrow in slow flight.

Sarah

I'll never forget my flights in MKC!! I absolutely loved that airport with the beautiful skyline of KC. Hopefully I'll make it back there someday...

[ QUOTE ]
"Just a walk in the park, Kozanski!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday, it'll be a walk in the park for me, too.

wink.gif

Back