Taking a break

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
So I have been thinking, which is usually a bad idea:p

How easy is it to take a break from flying and get back into it a couple years later?

I have been thinking that if things are still looking grim in the airline industry when I am done with school I might go work as an Engineer on a NOAA ship, taking advantage of my Coast Guard QMED certificate I should have by the end of this summer. From there wait for things to turn around.

So I have been thinking, which is usually a bad idea:p

How easy is it to take a break from flying and get back into it a couple years later?

I have been thinking that if things are still looking grim in the airline industry when I am done with school I might go work as an Engineer on a NOAA ship, taking advantage of my Coast Guard QMED certificate I should have by the end of this summer. From there wait for things to turn around.

I would imagine that the degree of difficulty in getting back in would be directly related to the degree in which you leave aviation. If you keep flying to maintain currency, keep in touch with your aviation network/contacts, and do other things to keep your hand in, such as attend FAA safety seminars and flight instructor recurrent classes, then I think it would easier to reestablish yourself than if you quit cold turkey. The time away from aviation will also be a factor.

It can be done, but it does make things a bit harder on yourself. I imagine the further your are into aviation the harder it is to get back into. If you are still working on a commerical certificate, or CFI, and leave, comming back to it at isn't as tough. But if you're already flying for a regional or charter place and you walk away, getting back and flying the same level of equipment would be MUCH more difficult.

ASpilot2BE, I have just gone through this myself. I flew professionally for twenty six years at the same operation and decided to hang it up at the end of 2004. I was pretty much burned out on flying. I honestly thought that I would never fly again and I was OK with that. That lasted about two and a half years until a friend asked me to ride along with him on a couple of trips in his Baron. That old flame that I thought had died is now burning strongly again. I have gotten recurrent in everything and have four "fill in" jobs lined up for this summer. Also leaving for King Air initial in about two weeks.

It's not hard to get back into. Aviation is still going to be here.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will wait and see what the industry has to offer when I am done with school.:)

Back