Takeoff warning horn?

TrinidadGT20

Vice President of Awesome
Southwest is running a commercial on TV that shows their pilots conducting a pre-flight cockpit check off list. One of the items they mention is the takeoff warning horn. The pilot move the throttle lever to full and the horn beeps. What is the purpose of a takeoff warning horn?

It's a configuration warning alarm. We have it in the Saab. Basically, if you are not in the proper takeoff configuration (whether it be flap position, condition lever position, etc.) this alarm will sound and we'll get master warning lights telling us to abort.

If you advance the throttle and the flaps, stabilizer trim, autobrakes, spoilers, etc aren't positioned properly for takeoff, it'll sound a warning.

You get this annoying horn on the 737, but the mad dog will verbally say what's out of position.

Man, I need one of those on the C172 that I fly. Once or twice I have taken off with the flaps in the wrong position, none vs. 1 notch. I wondered why my takeoff roll was longer than normal. I go to do the climb checklist....retract flaps....$%(. They are already retracted, that explains it.
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I need one of those on the C172 that I fly. Once or twice I have taken off with the flaps in the wrong position, none vs. 1 notch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but the outcome would be much different if you forgot to put the flaps out for t/o on a large jet.
crazy.gif

Back