TAF Question

sopdan

"TEMPO 0810 2SM -FZRAPL BR OVC004"

Ok, i get everything for the most part, you know, light freezing rain and all that jazz... but what is "PL"? I tried to look it up quickly in AC-00-45E but didn't find it...

Ahhhh....yes, it makes sense, thank you.
smile.gif

a lot of times when you are getting 'wintry' precip (freezing drizzle/rain, ice pellets, sleet, snow), the METARs will also show "UP" and that means unknown precipitation. (sometimes It's freezing rain/sleet/snow all at the same time!)

Sarah

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of times when you are getting 'wintry' precip (freezing drizzle/rain, ice pellets, sleet, snow), the METARs will also show "UP" and that means unknown precipitation. (sometimes It's freezing rain/sleet/snow all at the same time!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Something you've become an expert on, huh, Sarah?

Me, too.

frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Something you've become an expert on, huh, Sarah?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, yes. I've been spoiled by probably 10 years now of extremely mild and dry winters. It's all coming back on us now...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta watch out for that "Fizzraple"!!

Also seen SHRAPL on the TAF. Is that shrapnel??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta watch out for that "Fizzraple"!!

Also seen SHRAPL on the TAF. Is that shrapnel??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only around here.

For day recoveries, you come overhead the field 15,000 MSL and split-S to a close-downwind about 440 kts and 500 AGL. Idle and boards abeam, gear/flaps on short base to final.

Kicker is getting from tower prior to the maneuver "Hog 21, wind calm, cleared to land, caution PIREP for small arms fire 2 mile final, outgoing arty east."

After reading these posts and having never heard of UP, I checked our local weather and found the following remarks (yes, it is a METAR, but interesting none-the-less)

UPE1657B25E30FZRAB1657E25B30

[ QUOTE ]
UPE1657B25E30FZRAB1657E25B30

[/ QUOTE ]

Unknown precipitation ended at 1657, began 25 mintues after the hour, ended 30 mintues after the hour, freezing rain began 1657 ended 25 after and began again at 30 minutes past.

Wow that was a weird METAR, did I miss anything?

Back