T-6 down at OSH

Get an IFR reservation. They’re available about 24 hours out. Avoids 100% of the drama.

But can you cancel and go direct to the initial/break? :)

Seriously though, any updates on what happened here? I saw some stuff from some folks there, sounds like the T-6 pilot was a young gal who people really liked. Sad to hear.

I made my 18th trip to Oshkosh this year. When we lived in Japan we'd take a commercial flight to ORD and drive to the show. I also flew commercial from RIC to ATW once and took the bus down. Every other time I've flown to KOSH in our plane or with a friend. Once was in a mass T-6 formation, a couple of times with an IFR reservation, but mostly I do the Fisk arrival. Occasionally there's someone who hasn't read the NOTAM, but mostly everyone follows the instructions and knows what to do. Frankly, I've been more scared more often in the traffic pattern of my local field than at Oshkosh.

AirVenture is a celebration of aviation. For every niche of aviation you can think of, there are some people who are so passionate about it that it's all they do. Airlines, experimentals, warbirds, sea planes, ultralights, hot air balloons, vintage, every type club there is...you name it and it's happening at Oshkosh. Plus every type of pilot group has a presence and gathering. Hundreds of forums take place every day on every subject you can imagine. I talked to Bud Anderson about flying American Grummans, met Bob Hoover, listened to Neil Armstrong, heard to a phone call from the ISS, flew with WASPs and Tuskegee Airmen, saw the second Hughes Racer, learned to rivet, weld, work with fiberglass and fabric, etc., etc.

The logistics of the event are amazing! You rarely have to wait in line more than a few minutes for anything, lots of choices of food and beverages, and porta johns so clean you could eat in them. The crowd on the weekdays all are aviation enthusiasts who respect each other's property -- cell phones laying around the bathrooms charging and no one takes them, people look out for each other's airplanes.

I've flown in the airshow as part of the T-6 formation a few times, and have flown a few other times during the week, but I would rather spend my days attending forums, shopping vendors to support my airplane build, and seeing friends I only see at the show. There's so much to see and do that I still haven't done it all yet.

As to the T-6 crash, the details are slim at the moment. I met the pilot last year and know her husband and family. Sad day for all touched by the tragedy. I found my appetite for warbirds to be strangely absent this year, aside from seeing the nine Corsairs that were at the show and watching the P47 fly. I still haven't gotten over Dallas, and the warbird gathering at Oshkosh wasn't the same without them.

That’s a tough act to follow, but I’ve flown into OSH once 8 years ago where I got to meet @Adler and @CFI A&P. The sheer access to knowledge in the forums alone was incredible, and I got to try hands on clinics on oxyacetylene welding and fabric work (rib stitching is hard!). The EAA museum collection is incredible and I nerded out in their library. But most of all flying the 1946 Cessna 120 I co-owned at the time low and slow across the country like a vintage barnstormer to the fly in I had wanted to attend my whole life really was a dream come true.

I ended up flying into the show, leaving by rental car with my friend to collect his airplane from an A&P in Iowa and then flying in a second time, so I got two FISK arrivals under my belt.

As for the safety record, I think the others on here are correct that it probably isn’t very elevated but rather it’s an uncomfortable insight into the average GA “incident” rate with so many pilots and airplanes collected in one place. I witnessed a couple incidents while there including an RV taildragger prop strike while landing and block the runway with its tail in the air, and saw the crater from a Malibu stall spin accident short of the runway.

The NOTAM is really straight forward but I think the combination of needing to actually read the NOTAM cover to cover, be on your “A game” with airmanship, spot landings and crosswinds, plus the extra perceived or actual pressure from the presence of ATC (keeping in mind a lot of recreational pilots fly from uncontrolled fields) is too much for some people.

The first arrival was totally straight forward right up until landing. Spacing was too close with the aircraft behind me and the exasperated female controller started shouting “get off the runway!” at me while I was still going 60 knots on rollout next to an uneven bumpy stretch of grass that looked like it would result in a prop strike. I think I mumbled a “negative!” back at her and cleared into the grass when it was safe, but I could see how this ATC induced pressure could actually cause incidents/mistakes.

On the second arrival, I’ll never forget seeing the whites of the old codger’s eyes who decided to fly his Baron westbound up the FISK arrival at the arrival altitude through a stream of airplanes. (What is it with old rich guys in piston twins?)

In both arrivals, the area I felt the most on edge was actually Green Lake west of Ripon, where everyone starts funneling together into one stream of arrivals over the railroad tracks and the merging of traffic is totally uncontrolled. It worked out fine but your head has to be completely on a swivel looking for traffic and you need to be ready to break off and do a circuit to get back in line if you find yourself converging with/on top of another aircraft. (My biggest fear was the dreaded high wing / low wing blind spot mid-air.) Despite all that, it worked out fine.

If anybody reading this has longed to fly into Oshkosh but is intimidated, you totally should take the leap. Just be prepared, study the NOTAM, practice your basic airmanship (slow flight, stalls, crosswind/short/soft field landings and being able to land predictably in the spot of your choice). Then go for it!

Ran out of time to edit the previous thread above, but it seems like this thread has a lot of OSH hate and I wanted to counterbalance with my own personal experience.

Regarding the T-6 accident, it looks like they went down over Lake Winnebago after departing runway 27, well outside the immediate area of the show. This is a tragic accident but blaming it on Airventure the event seems way premature.

View: https://twitter.com/planesoflegend/status/1685382566948585472?s=46&t=BhW56a7hHEe9nYzB55v40Q

Ran out of time to edit the previous thread above, but it seems like this thread has a lot of OSH hate and I wanted to counterbalance with my own personal experience.

Regarding the T-6 accident, it looks like they went down over Lake Winnebago after departing runway 27, well outside the immediate area of the show. This is a tragic accident but blaming it on Airventure the event seems way premature.

View: https://twitter.com/planesoflegend/status/1685382566948585472?s=46&t=BhW56a7hHEe9nYzB55v40Q

I concur. The data point is only relative because of the departure point, even though it had no bearing on the event (from what we know at this time). The accident aircraft could have had the same fate 12 minutes after departure from their home base.

Back