T-45 Goshawk birdstrike...

Scary stuff......the guy in the backseat was a SERGRAD as well; I think his "debriefing" for the incident is on youtube somewhere actually. Most of us in NMM have had at least several close calls with birds, if not an actual strike. My closest call was coming into the break at Navy Joe Williams (our OLF) at about 330-340 kts and right as I roll into the break and pop the boards I see one big vulture pass maybe 15 feet past my head and another coming right at our faces. Lots of negative G and swearing from my IP (we had a laugh watching the HUD tape after the flight) and we missed the flock. Had one gone into the intake we would have finished the flight in parachutes. I haven't seen the numbers for krock, but I would imagine they are as much of a problem there as they are here. If you haven't looked already, check out the volume of bird related class A's we have had in T-45's. Makes this video even more frightening.

I was that instructor's IFS instructor at ANP in 2004. Nice to see he turned out to be such a good aviator.

Scary stuff......the guy in the backseat was a SERGRAD as well; I think his "debriefing" for the incident is on youtube somewhere actually. Most of us in NMM have had at least several close calls with birds, if not an actual strike. My closest call was coming into the break at Navy Joe Williams (our OLF) at about 330-340 kts and right as I roll into the break and pop the boards I see one big vulture pass maybe 15 feet past my head and another coming right at our faces. Lots of negative G and swearing from my IP (we had a laugh watching the HUD tape after the flight) and we missed the flock. Had one gone into the intake we would have finished the flight in parachutes. I haven't seen the numbers for krock, but I would imagine they are as much of a problem there as they are here. If you haven't looked already, check out the volume of bird related class A's we have had in T-45's. Makes this video even more frightening.

A former COD pilot and IP in Krock hit a bunch of birds coming into the break I think. Could not relight it and punched. She walked away without a scratch.

You're hearing the warning tone (hyd failure, generator, o2 failure, low oil pressure all trip it off), and the fainter tone in the background is the caution tone (probably from ram air turbine extension or fuel pump / pressurization failure in this case). You can also hear the wheels tone as they roll out above the runway

Back