Systems (Week #3)

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
Hey all,

Sorry I didn't give an update this weekend on class. It was my roommate's co-ed bachlorette party in downtown Chicago, and with that, recovery time, and some studying, didn't have much time. Anyways...

This past week (and this week so far) we have been covering the Saab 340 systems. We started pretty basic with Aircraft General, then moved into each system in a "systematic" way through the airplane. We only have a few systems left to complete this week before our final systems exam on Friday afternoon.

All I have to say about systems is that there is a LOT of stuff going on inside the airplane. People really don't know just how much information is crammed into the heads of us pilots. We have an excellent systems instructor who is very clear about explaining just how each system works in great detail. Supposedly the most difficult system in the aircraft is the electrical system, and I can agree it is difficult. However, I think nothing compares to the engine. By far, it is quite possibly one of the most difficult systems we have covered. When I say engine, I mean including the propeller. It is a VERY complex system.

When going through systems, we are just all sitting down at tables in front of a projector watching PowerPoints. Each of us has our manuals spread out in front of us, and some of us have cockpit posters as well to keep notes on. Basically, by the end of the day you have a mass of books, notes, and caffeine products in front of you! Here is a picture of our windowless classroom...

class.jpg

In between studying for systems, myself and my sim partner have been spending time in the cockpit procedures trainer (CPT) trying to get our "flows" and procedures down pat. I think we are very ahead in that regard. We seem to work well together which is good. Hopefully it will make things much easier when we get to the simulator in two weeks. One "interesting" thing for me in practicing CPT has been my passenger announcments... so yeah, um, they need some work.
smile.gif
Here is a picture of the CPT we use to practice.

cpt.jpg

Nothing on it moves, so we just make "click" noises when we are operating any of the cockpit controls. Also, another Captain upgrade has been sitting "jumpseat" for us ensuring we do things right, as well as playing ATC. It is great for us, since having to consider talking to ATC becomes a huge part in all of the procedures we are doing.

Last week besides systems, we also had some other interesting (and less interesting) classes. One was for HazMat, and since we are not a HazMat carrier a lot wasn't applicable to "carrying", but instead to just working around. One of the days we had fire training, where a Chicago Fire Fighter came out to train us on utilizing the hand-held fire extinguishers and Protective Breathing Equipment (PBE), or "smoke hoods." This was very cool, since we were able to join classes wtih the Flight Attendants and head outside to practice putting out a gasoline fire with an extinguisher, while wearing the smoke hood.

Our last non-systems class last week was CRM. Crew Resource Management. This was an all-day class hosted by a line captain and line flight attendant. We joined classes with the F/As and all day discussed ways to enhance communication in the airplane, as well as with ground crews, dispatch, and so on. We had all kinds of exercises to complete which helped us apply some communications and teamwork skills. Honestly, it was extremely interesting, and I left the class learning a lot.

In the evenings, I'm basically in the books from after dinner until bedtime, wtih some study breaks in between. Like tonight I'm taking a break now, then study study study, then a break for Real World, then more studying. Here are some pics of the manuals and flash cards I study with all night, plus my flight kit loaded with all the manuals I need for training:

case.jpg

books.jpg

Two days last week instead of hitting the books at home, myself and a few others in the class went out to an airplane which was on a long sit to practice our preflights (FOs do the preflight... part of the cockpit, and all of the outside) since that is part of our oral. Plus, it was nice to get out there and start getting comfortable with exactly where everything is in the plane. Like the peanuts.
grin.gif

For the rest of this week we are just going through more systems, with our final on Friday. Tomorrow we are going to get out to the airplane to practice utilizing the emergency exits, which should be a nice break from the classroom work.

Anyways, I hope this has been kinda interesting for you! I'll write again sometime next week!

I love reading these FlyChicaga! Keep up the updates!
laugh.gif

There's gotta be something special about sitting in the cockpit after weeks of learning everything there is to know about it!

Keep em' coming! And try to take some pics of the sime if you can.1.
Smokey.................................................................................

Thanks for all the great info. You, in addition to everyone else, are helping to construct a picture of what I will be doing.

Very nice man. Can't wait for your next update as I like reading real world experiences. A couple more years and hopefully I'm in the same posistion as you. Good luck with the rest of training!

Rob

Very cool.

Do most of the lessons charge through the material or do you get a chance to interrupt with questions?

Makes me thrilled and happy as well as sad at the same time. Happy becuase of the obvious reasons, but sad because I probably wont be in his shoes for a very long time.

Would you mind if I just make this a regular part of the website?

I'll try to get some pics of the simulator when/if I get there!
smile.gif

Also, we are able to ask questions. Class is really interactive. I think it's maybe 60/40 lecture/discussions and questions.

Doug, that would be just fine with me if you'd like to add it. Let me know and I'll type something up that is more structured/less jumbled.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Would you mind if I just make this a regular part of the website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way back when, in the old days, when I was the website manager for mesaalpa.org - I had an entire section devoted to training. Lots of pics of Training Center, Indoc, Systems, CSI, Simulator and IOE. Would anyone be interested in seeing it? It was updated in 2000 and it can't be that out of date now.

[ QUOTE ]
Way back when, in the old days, when I was the website manager for mesaalpa.org - I had an entire section devoted to training. Lots of pics of Training Center, Indoc, Systems, CSI, Simulator and IOE. Would anyone be interested in seeing it? It was updated in 2000 and it can't be that out of date now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please.

Grats again, man and keep up the good work!

Looks like a lot of hard work - but fun hard work!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea that would be cool to see yet another training process!

Back