Sydney

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
Well, it's circa '93, but I was cleaning up some photos from my web page when I came across a favorite of mine. It's has airplanes in it, so I figured it was o.k. ;) What a blast this place was..... :nana2::bandit:

You can't see the guy in the pic, but there was one guy in a canoe trying to stop the ship from entering the harbor. Firehoses .vs a canoe, you can guess who won.

ranger-sydney.JPG

Nice photo. Interesting to see all the aircraft on deck. Do they not usually fly all the aircraft off before coming in to harbor ?

Nice photo. Interesting to see all the aircraft on deck. Do they not usually fly all the aircraft off before coming in to harbor ?

We were entering Sydney Harbor towards the end of our West-Pac cruise. Any time that you enter the harbor on a 'liberty' stop, the planes are always aligned on deck like that.

Now when we got closer to home, San Diego, they do indeed fly the aircraft off the ship prior to entering the bay. When you go out on cruise, the planes fly out to the boat and when you come home, they fly off.

Re: Which one

Cool picture JEP!

Which ship?

USS Ranger (CV-61)

I got on in July of 92 and five days later we left on a West-Pac cruise:

San Diego
Yokosuka
Pusan
Singapore (got canceled thanks to Hussein)
Dubai
Abu Dhabi
Jebel Ali
Perth (New Years Eve....Thanks, Mandy ;) )
Sydney
Pearl Harbor
San Diego

Decommissioned officially towards the end of '93. I got out early because of the decom. There is a movement to make her a musuem in Portland I believe.

Well, it's circa '93, but I was cleaning up some photos from my web page when I came across a favorite of mine. It's has airplanes in it, so I figured it was o.k. ;) What a blast this place was..... :nana2::bandit:

When I was in Vietnam, we worked next door to the Aussies in III Corps. The ground troops were down at a coastal city named Vung Tao. They also had some Canberra bombers in country usually carrying 1000lb bombs. All round nice guys and good at putting weapons on the target. A bit fussy though and would quickly advise you they were NOT B-57s. They used a flat run in with an IP.. no dive bombing. An item for trade was their flying gloves made, we were told, from kangaroo skin.

A bunch of us went to Sydney on R&R out of Cam Ranh Bay and had a grand time. We were there a week. Went down with about 150 guys and left to go back to Vietnam missing about 4-6 guys. We were told that on average, 1 or 2 per flight decided to hell with it and stayed.

Where's the sign that says:

"Ladies, line forms here! Eager sailors a plenty!"

Where's the sign that says:

"Ladies, line forms here! Eager sailors a plenty!"

You must be referring to the Dial-A-Sailor board. I #### you not, that was a a real, honest to goodness, fact. People would could call up, offer to host a sailor for dinner, barbecue, etc.... Shoot, where do you think I got Mandy's phone # from.

Now when we were in Perth there were two big parties put on by the ship and while the local gals got in free, we had to pay.....:panic: Oh well, lots beer and it was a good time by all.

That's an interesting story about the guy in the canoe.

Tianasquare.jpg

Maybe he got his inspiration from this?

Back