Switching from the AP to hand flying

DrBenny

For those of you in training, here's a story to make you feel real good!

On my most recent flight with the airlines, I noticed a definite shift from the AP to hand flying. On approach to Albany, everything was nice and smooth. All turns were gradual, power reductions were smooth, etc. Then as we got below what I guessed was 1,000' there was--let's be nice, now--a lot of maneuvering, sort of what you'd expect from a major BFR candidate. This wasn't turbulence, BTW. This was sort of jerking the plane around to stay lined up on the approach. It was a fine visual day, with no turbulence, too.

The landing was good, though!

Funny! Maybe they should get in some 172 time to review slow flight handling?

From my experience on the MD-88, when you're diving down to reach the glidepath outside of the marker, it can be smooth, but once you're on speed on the glidepath and extended centerline near ref speed, the MD-88 is a little on the unstable side.

Anyone who's got experience on the DC-9 superstretch will agree that flying an -88 at ref speed is as fun as trying to balance, standing atop a basketball.

That is interesting. Isn't your Vref something like 1.3 Vmc or 1.3 Vso?

I should add, BTW, the aircraft was a 737-800. Don't know if that makes any dif.

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience on the MD-88, when you're diving down to reach the glidepath outside of the marker, it can be smooth, but once you're on speed on the glidepath and extended centerline near ref speed, the MD-88 is a little on the unstable side.

Anyone who's got experience on the DC-9 superstretch will agree that flying an -88 at ref speed is as fun as trying to balance, standing atop a basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug you should try to balance the -88 with bags and cargo. The plane is so sensitive that if the gate agent moves 5 people it can make the plane out of balance. Luckily the Delta gate agents now know to call if there is a big change in the first class cabin. Saves alot of time and explaining if there is a delay. Nothing like pencil whipping the cargo weights..opps dont think the company would like that. Kidding aside though the plane is tough to keep the aft index nice and pretty if plane isnt full.

Plllleeeease don't pencil whip those things! I've had a couple of times where I rotate the aircraft and I'm like HOLY CRAP! trimtrim **EERGH** trimtrimtrimtrim **EERGH** **EERGH** *"Stabilizer motion"* whew!

Something scary whe I see a bunch of sand bags piled up downstairs while doing my walkaround!
smile.gif

BTW, "EEERGH" is the sound the aural warning system makes each 1 degree of trim that you command. Or each 1/2 degree, I can't remember, it's been six months since recurrent training!
smile.gif

And the warning system says "Sta-bilizer motion" when the trim motors been activated for more than 30 seconds.

MDPilot, help me out on this!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, "EEERGH" is the sound the aural warning system makes each 1 degree of trim that you command.

[/ QUOTE ]Whew! For a second I thought that was supposed to be the sound of twisting aluminum....
shocked.gif

Quoting from the MD-88/90 PRM;

"When the horizontal stabilizer is being moved by any of the three methods of control, or by the autopilot trim, an audible signal is sounded once for each 1/2 degree (approximately) of stabilizer movement. In addition, if the autopilot is trimming for approximately 30 seconds, a vocal "STABILIZER MOTION" will sound."

I'd say you remembered pretty well, Doug!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Doug you should try to balance the -88 with bags and cargo. The plane is so sensitive that if the gate agent moves 5 people it can make the plane out of balance. Luckily the Delta gate agents now know to call if there is a big change in the first class cabin. Saves alot of time and explaining if there is a delay. Nothing like pencil whipping the cargo weights..opps dont think the company would like that. Kidding aside though the plane is tough to keep the aft index nice and pretty if plane isnt full.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds almost as bad as a 737-200. I had one of those last month with 3500 lbs of freight in the front and 20 bags in the back. The gate agent told me I had to move 4 bags to the front! For those of you who haven't seen the cargo bins of a 737-200, they are TINY. I barely managed to get those 4 bags in. At this point, I'm not even sure why we HAVE an aft bin on the -200 if we can only load 16 bags in when the front is crammed full.

On the same lines, we had a plane fly out the other day with NO bags. We had to sandbag it to put some weight in. Another ramper told me they used to put aircraft tires in the bins in BUR.

Back