Switching Careers, Failed IFR Twice

I'll keep this short:

1st IR checkride: I flubbed lost comm procedures in the oral and DPE smelled blood in the water. Dug myself a hole. Failed.
2nd IR checkride: Flew everything flawless until the very last approach, where I forgot to hit that $800 CDI button on an ILS - I even tuned and ID'd the damn loc, so mad at myself.

.3 on the hobbs for the 3rd checkride, shot an ILS and got my rating.

The DPE was fair and I'm glad he caught my weak areas - I'll never ever forget to verify my nav source now, and I'm thankful I made that mistake with him in the right seat than me SPIFR down to mins and crash into a mountain.

I'm 36 busting my ass to get my ASEL COMM and CFI by the end of this year. For you 121 guys, have I already shot myself in the foot for an airline gig?

Also, any tips to combat checkride anxiety would be much appreciated.

Thnx!

I'll keep this short:

1st IR checkride: I flubbed lost comm procedures in the oral and DPE smelled blood in the water. Dug myself a hole. Failed.
2nd IR checkride: Flew everything flawless until the very last approach, where I forgot to hit that $800 CDI button on an ILS - I even tuned and ID'd the damn loc, so mad at myself.

.3 on the hobbs for the 3rd checkride, shot an ILS and got my rating.

The DPE was fair and I'm glad he caught my weak areas - I'll never ever forget to verify my nav source now, and I'm thankful I made that mistake with him in the right seat than me SPIFR down to mins and crash into a mountain.

I'm 36 busting my ass to get my ASEL COMM and CFI by the end of this year. For you 121 guys, have I already shot myself in the foot for an airline gig?

Also, any tips to combat checkride anxiety would be much appreciated.

Thnx!

Nah, I don't think you have.

Good explanations of why you failed it, keeping a clean record going forward, you'll be fine. Lots of people have a similar story to tell.

I agree with Killbilly above. Will add that I think almost anything can be overcome short of a criminal record like something that keeps you from accessing airport security. One might have to "pay their dues" longer at "lower tier" jobs. And timing can be a big deal because career progression is supply and demand. Demand is great right now but that can change. CFI is very difficult. I think harder than IFR. Be sure you pick a school and instructor that knows what they are doing and has a good track record. Knows what the DPE's are looking for. You may already be tied in with a school and not have a lot of options so just find an instructor that has done a lot of CFI applicants. That would be your best bet. Best of luck. Lastly, remember all ratings and licenses are licenses to learn. It's best to not be in such a rush and give some time between the ratings for some seasoning and learning on your own to take place. I realize this isn't going to be the reality anymore for most. I think that's unfortunate.

Back