Sweep angle vs. Taper ratio

DanTheMan

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a continuation of the locked thread

Wing sweep is measured as the angle between the perpendicular line to the fuselage and the line that connnects the chords 1/4th of their length from the leading edge.
Conculsion: the lear35 wings are swept, but at a very small angle, an angle less than that of the leading edge.

Wing taper ratio is the ratio of the length of the chord at the wing root vs. the length of the chord at the wing tip.
Conclusion:the lear35 wings are also tapered.

Moral of the story: Eagle and FalconCapt were both correct.

see "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" it is a facinating book.

No arguments here. I believe the point was that, although the Lear wing features some taper/sweep, it exhibits relatively little of the swept-wing aerodynamic characteristics commom to aircraft (like the Falcon 900, B-757, Citation X, etc.) with a substantial amount of wing sweep. And the original point of the thread was about crosswind landing techniques. The proper technique would depend on the specific handling qualities of the particular aircraft you were flying, wing sweep notwithstanding.

FL270

Seemed to me like they were arguing about wether it was swept or tapered, but in reality it is both. From what I've read the lear wing, even though technically it is swept will fly like a straight wing. If you're gonna sweep the wing it has to be at least 35degrees to see any apricciable benefits, and just from looking at the drawings it looks like there is only 10 or so degrees of sweep to the lear wing.

I just had to write a 8 page paper for school on wing design so I just wanted to throw in my $.02.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and just from looking at the drawings it looks like there is only 10 or so degrees of sweep to the lear wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually 13 degrees...it has wing sweep but so do quite a number of aircraft such as the Saab 340 and DC-3 as shown in the first thread. I wouldn't classify it as a swept wing aircraft. Moreover, the Lear wing is intended not have the properties of a swept wing. The fighter the wing came from was purposely a straight wing to lower landing speeds and increase maneuverability.

[ QUOTE ]
No arguments here. I believe the point was that, although the Lear wing features some taper/sweep, it exhibits relatively little of the swept-wing aerodynamic characteristics commom to aircraft (like the Falcon 900, B-757, Citation X, etc.) with a substantial amount of wing sweep. And the original point of the thread was about crosswind landing techniques. The proper technique would depend on the specific handling qualities of the particular aircraft you were flying, wing sweep notwithstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't classify it as a swept wing aircraft. Moreover, the Lear wing is intended not have the properties of a swept wing. The fighter the wing came from was purposely a straight wing to lower landing speeds and increase maneuverability.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!

Anyone know the average cruise speed of an African Swallow? (the bird, you pervert)

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know the average cruise speed of an African Swallow? (the bird, you pervert)

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

The question is, are the Swallow's wings swept, tapered, or tapered leading edge with a swept outboard portion?

And does it flare or just fly it on?

[ QUOTE ]
The questions is, are the Swallow's wings swept, tapered, or tapered leading edge with a swept outboard portion?

And does it flare or just fly it on?

[/ QUOTE ]

You better be careful or this thread will get locked too!

Excuse me, I was wrong on fajitas, but isn't the proper quote, "What is the unladen airspeed velocity of a swallow?"

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is here.

"Anyone know the average cruise speed of an African Swallow? (the bird, you pervert)"

It would all depend on the size and weight of the cocanut it was was carrying.....

Back