SWA reducing minimum requirements again

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
“…effective February 7, 2023, we will change our required applicant experience to 500 turbine time hours preferred. This will ensure we can continue to be selective in hiring Pilots who demonstrate Southwest’s values and have relevant experience across the board. Our revised definition of fixed-wing turbine time to include power lift (rotor) aircraft will also allow for more Pilots currently serving in the military to meet our minimum requirements.”

I know two guys interested who meet, or exceed their mins. and WN is their first choice. But not interested in touching them until they get a new contract.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get a seniority number, the contract will come. Why on earth would you sacrifice a seniority number waiting on a new contract. If they're here and it doesn't meet their needs they could always leave but seniority is literally EVERYTHING in this business from job security, to schedule, to vacation, to upgrades, to domicile... waiting to apply is asinine.

I heard there were a few days last week that only 10 people showed up for interviews. And supposedly lost 40+ people last year who left for greener pastures. They want to hire over 2000 this year and they're already behind.

This is what happens when your founder dies and you throw your culture in the dumpster in favor of quarterly profits. WHAT Southwest does really hasn't changed. Not even a little bit. But they don't know WHY they are doing it anymore. I'll bet the "ra-ra stuff" on the wall at the HQ says why they used to do it, but the execs don't believe it so neither does anybody else. There was also a time when the people who worked at Walmart were extremely proud to be there. Sam Walton would hate the present day Walmart. Herb Kelleher would hate the present day SWA.

I was always amazed by the idiots who would pay for that. Worse than PFT. Fight me!

Other airline apps also have a check box that specifically ask if you have a 737 type rating. That's somewhat curious. Thanks Southwest.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get a seniority number, the contract will come. Why on earth would you sacrifice a seniority number waiting on a new contract. If they're here and it doesn't meet their needs they could always leave but seniority is literally EVERYTHING in this business from job security, to schedule, to vacation, to upgrades, to domicile... waiting to apply is asinine.

If I had to guess, maybe also figuring they could go to a legacy with their contracts. And if no bites circle back to WN? I don't know, just a guess.

APC profile says they aren't hiring.
I think SWA still uses application windows. I know way way back in 2020 you would have to have an active submission at Pilot Credentials AND fill out an app on their career website for each application window. Really stupid, but I’ve seen worse. *ahem*Jetblue*ahem*

I'm surprised that American is having problems filling classes, with their retiring numbers.

Oh man, paging dacuj. Obviously anyone that skips out on a chance to work at American is missing the chance of a lifetime. Even joining the team over at the ‘Voy would be a wise decision in these uncertain times.

Did I hit all the talking points? OH! Come to my campfire sing along thing. There. Nailed it.

Back