SUV's Safe? Not From Airplanes With Empty Gas Tanks !

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
SUV\'s Safe? Not From Airplanes With Empty Gas Tanks !

Powerless airplane drops in on I-40 traffic
By Chris Conley
Contact
January 26, 2004

Ira Nisby had his eyes on the road as he tooled down Interstate 40 in Memphis Sunday, but he should have been watching the skies.

Just before noon, an out-of-gas Cessna 210 single-engine airplane with four aboard touched down on the top of his GMC Jimmy, then bounced into the lane ahead of him. "I heard a knock," Nisby said. "He came from the air. I couldn't see it," he said. Nisby, of Millington, was headed west at Covington Pike to drop off a woman passenger in his vehicle, when the airplane descended. There were no injuries. The airplane didn't have any apparent damage. A runner on the top of Nisby's vehicle was crushed.

Nisby said he concentrated on trying to screen the traffic coming up behind so the airplane could coast from the far left lane to the right shoulder. "It was important to get the traffic stopped behind me," Nisby said.

The airplane came to rest close to the Austin Peay exit, about two miles west of touchdown. "He had to be a good pilot. He didn't lose control," Nisby said. Nisby said it had been a lucky week for him. He said he played the lottery three times and won every time.

The pilot, who wasn't identified, did a good job, said Memphis Police Maj. Harvey Sullivan, except for running out of fuel. The pilot was on his way from Albany, Ga., to Fayetteville, Ark., according to Sullivan, and planned to refuel in Memphis. "Next time he should use an airport," Sullivan said.

The emergency landing slowed westbound traffic for about two hours. Two left lanes were opened shortly after the landing. The pilot declined to speak to reporters at the scene. Police towed the airplane to General DeWitt Spain Airport several miles away at Whitney and Second. It wasn't known Sunday evening if the pilot continued his flight.

After an investigation, the pilot could face sanctions ranging from a letter of warning to a suspension or revocation of his flying license. "This is something we take very seriously," said FAA spokesman Kathleen Bergen. "It is uncommon."

jwlanding4_e.jpg

Re: SUV\'s Safe? Not From Airplanes With Empty Gas Tanks !

[ QUOTE ]
The pilot, who wasn't identified, did a good job, said Memphis Police Maj. Harvey Sullivan, except for running out of fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh.......yeah.

Something about a superior pilot....exceptional skills......prior planning...
Oh shucks, I forget...

cool.gif

I'm not a 210 pilot, but I'm fairly sure that, if one departed ABY with full fuel tanks, you could probably make XNA non-stop. I always told my students the only time you can have too much fuel on an airplane is when it's on fire. Cliched, I know, but true nonetheless.

FL270

You most definitely could make it from ABY to XNA with full tanks. According to my calculations, its about 3.5 hrs in a 210. A 210 can carry ~6 hrs. of fuel.

Back