Suspected plane crash turned out to be F-16 drop tanks

I wish we had DX'ers in the military. Life would be much easier. Really only applicable for a cross country flight, rather than a typical local area sortie where you takeoff and land at the same place and fly a canned IFR route to the SUA. But on those cross countries or ferry flights, its all on us. Which means basically "hey new guy, go find us a route, file it, get the weather brief, pull the notams, grab us all the approach plate books we'll need for everyone in the flight, load all the mission cards, make the kneeboard cards, call the airports and make sure they have contract gas (and PPRs for any mil field), and we'll see you in the morning at the brief" :) What could go wrong haha.....

actually, normally they do just fine with all of this. I've never had an experience where whoever did the planning had anything to do with why it went sideways. We've got no ACARS, and the first time you know that a field has deteriorated below the forecast and is no longer legal, is about 100 miles or so when you can start picking up the ATIS. And then it is a really fun phone game with ATC trying to figure out where the hell to go with none of the information at your fingertips (no iPads).
yall ever use flight service? (or flight watch, may she RIP)

I wish we had DX'ers in the military. Life would be much easier. Really only applicable for a cross country flight, rather than a typical local area sortie where you takeoff and land at the same place and fly a canned IFR route to the SUA. But on those cross countries or ferry flights, its all on us. Which means basically "hey new guy, go find us a route, file it, get the weather brief, pull the notams, grab us all the approach plate books we'll need for everyone in the flight, load all the mission cards, make the kneeboard cards, call the airports and make sure they have contract gas (and PPRs for any mil field), and we'll see you in the morning at the brief" :) What could go wrong haha.....

actually, normally they do just fine with all of this. I've never had an experience where whoever did the planning had anything to do with why it went sideways. We've got no ACARS, and the first time you know that a field has deteriorated below the forecast and is no longer legal, is about 100 miles or so when you can start picking up the ATIS. And then it is a really fun phone game with ATC trying to figure out where the hell to go with none of the information at your fingertips (no iPads).

So every trip I did flying part 91 corporate?

Generally file through base ops, but FSS is an option.

Talk to them when entering/exiting a VR/IR route with the entry and exit points being used, so they are aware it’s active.

So every trip I did flying part 91 corporate?

That environment probably involved going into much more challenging airports. We pretty much just went where the PARs were if the weather was supposed to suck. But finding a divert in the short hairs, for example, became complicated because we only had TACAN and PAR/ASR approach capability, which rules out a lot of concrete in CONUS. But again, most of the time none of this mattered, because we don't spend a lot of time flying from Pt A to Pt B, other than moving planes to a training detachment site (typically on the other side of the country).

Pretty hit or miss with our radios. But yeah, that certainly is theoretically an option. I'd be more inclined to query ATC though, if it weren't super busy, since I'm already on freq with them. We try to keep the other radio free for inter-flight comms between members of the formation/safety of flight.

Pretty hit or miss with our radios. But yeah, that certainly is theoretically an option. I'd be more inclined to query ATC though, if it weren't super busy, since I'm already on freq with them. We try to keep the other radio free for inter-flight comms between members of the formation/safety of flight.

That environment probably involved going into much more challenging airports. We pretty much just went where the PARs were if the weather was supposed to suck. But finding a divert in the short hairs, for example, became complicated because we only had TACAN and PAR/ASR approach capability, which rules out a lot of concrete in CONUS. But again, most of the time none of this mattered, because we don't spend a lot of time flying from Pt A to Pt B, other than moving planes to a training detachment site (typically on the other side of the country).

We used fltplan.com to do our ETOPS planning when I flew the Falcon 900. It had 3 engines so it wasn't ETOPS. But you're still crossing the Pacific. Which is like, a long time over the ocean.

I still remember the Chief Pilot making fun of me when I was asking about the critical point for turn around. "We should still know that right?"

He folded the plotting chart in 1/2 and said "there ya go."

We used fltplan.com to do our ETOPS planning when I flew the Falcon 900. It had 3 engines so it wasn't ETOPS. But you're still crossing the Pacific. Which is like, a long time over the ocean.

I still remember the Chief Pilot making fun of me when I was asking about the critical point for turn around. "We should still know that right?"

FltPlan App still going

That is insane.

When I was flying Falcons all over the world we used UVAir for all of our flight planning and overflight permits. I only used fltplan.com for domestic or Caribbean stuff. We were part 91.

Did they have all the LOA's for those operations?

That is insane.

When I was flying Falcons all over the world we used UVAir for all of our flight planning and overflight permits. I only used fltplan.com for domestic or Caribbean stuff. We were part 91.

Did they have all the LOA's for those operations?

HWD to KOA is domestic. For international we used Jepp for our flight planking.

It was just odd doing not much other than fltplan.com for a Pacific crossing.

As far as LOAs go we are talking two jobs ago so I don’t really remember

HWD to KOA is domestic. For international we used Jepp for our flight planking.

It was just odd doing not much other than fltplan.com for a Pacific crossing.

As far as LOAs go we are talking two jobs ago so I don’t really remember
I’m more shocked that someone even in a three engine jet would fly that without having an ETP calculated. We always did, but I also know how others do things.

Good thing you got out of there and to good airline.

I’m more shocked that someone even in a three engine jet would fly that without having an ETP calculated. We always did, but I also know how others do things.

Good thing you got out of there and to good airline.
💯

Almost 10 years ago now 😳

Back