SUNY Farmingdale

guys apply for dowling college in brookhaven its way better than suny we have a large fleet of barely new piper warrior III piper archers and a seminole yea people say that dowling screw people with money but its a good school!!!

Yeah SUNY Farmingdale sux couldn't agree more. So many instructors have left (acceptible due to them moving a step forward in their careers) however, CHIEF and ASSISSANT CHIEF PILOTS left lololol so ask yourself how good that program is. Yes their fleet is awesome, yes the rental rate wet is cheap, $116/hr BUT you'll get out with your PRIVATE having over 100 hours. I was lucky that I found ways to get any instructor available to fly with me to move fast in the program as I also switched to PART 61. Currently I have 69 hours, and I'm scheduled for my PRIVATE CHECKRIDE early this week! So somehow, I"ve managed to make it work but A LOT OF PEOPLE NOT HAPPY WITH THE PROGRAM THATS FOR SURE.

Guys, I'm a former student/CFI from Suny. The flying program is great, it all depends how you go about it, you couldn't ask for a better mx department and ops dept. The plane is well kept and if you're motivated and want to excel your flying, there is nobody there wouldn't help you. I seem guys got all their rating in two years to 5 years (this mean all the way to CFI, so you make your own judgment)

The former chief pilot is a piece of crap that don't give c&%p about the student (its a good thing he left, because he reflects nothing the school has to offer)

The bad side of the program is lack of good ground training up in campus, c'pt a few professor. You really need to read and self study, but which school doesn't have that.

All in all, the school is cheap and well run, had some CFI shortage new months ago but I think they're up to speed once again. And to be honest to whoever want to go to Suny, its a great school if you have the right attitude.

Sorry for a long post, just couldn't resist from all the bad comments about the school that help me achieve my dream as an airline pilot.

Does anyone have some up-to-date information about the aviation program at Farmingdale State? Thanks.

It is all what you make of you. I found it hard to get hours flying there. 31 hours to my first solo which took 4 months, and I was one of the first in my ground class of 12 people!!! Since then I temporally left to finish my private upstate and I finished my license within a month in less then 31 additional hours, 5 of which was require due to insurance purpose. I don't know what it is but students at Farmingdale have a way of getting milked during whole flight training process, the only reason I say this is because I see how fast other students train at my part 61 school. I wouldn't recommend getting your private at SUNY takes too damn long. I'm gonna continue training for instrument and commercial but I'm definitely gonna make every hour I fly worth every penny I pay. I let everyone know how it works out.

Training out of FRG has some unique challenges. It lies in complicated airspace, it's under the NY Bravo and next to ISP class C. The airport itself is busy with a wide mix of bizjets, turboprops and SE pistons. With 4 aircraft in the pattern doing touch and gos, then a few Learjets or Hawkers coming in on instrument approaches, the situational awareness required to stay safe is high.

How does this impact training? Students typically need more time, more time will be spent on line waiting for TO, as well as more time spent in the pattern following other aircraft. Sure it's not an ideal situation but I will say that if you can handle FRG, you'll find the transition to other busy airports to be a non-event. You'll also become a sharp instructor with good SA listening to 10 things at once on the radio while monitoring your flight.

Back