Sunglass sizing?

ftyflyboy

I'm in the market for some new glasses. In looking at the 'aviator' glasses with the bayonet temples, they have 3 sizes to choose from 52mm, 55mm, and 57mm. What do the sizes refer to?

Thanks,

Eric

I'm in the market for some new glasses. In looking at the 'aviator' glasses with the bayonet temples, they have 3 sizes to choose from 52mm, 55mm, and 57mm. What do the sizes refer to?

Thanks,

Eric

dont get aviators. get oakleys or raybans

Go with Serengeti, they are really superb for flying and great for driving as well. Velocity with Drivers Gradient are awesome.

I've got a pair of AO Sunglasses. My brother in law got them for me from the Marine Corps. Apparently they are standard issue for Marine Corps pilots, and his ANGLICO (1st ANGLICO) team has a unit tradition of wearing them as well.

Anyway, I love 'em.

Go with Serengeti, they are really superb for flying and great for driving as well. Velocity with Drivers Gradient are awesome.

I have the medium aviatiors and love them. They use the Gradient Driver's lens. You can wear them from dawn to dusk without a problem and the also help with fog too. If you have a big head go with the mediums if not get the smaller size. The large size is just too big.

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/index_en_na.cfm

I've got a pair of AO Sunglasses. My brother in law got them for me from the Marine Corps. Apparently they are standard issue for Marine Corps pilots, and his ANGLICO (1st ANGLICO) team has a unit tradition of wearing them as well.

Anyway, I love 'em.

:yeahthat:

I've been wearing the silver AO aviators for about a year and a half now - love them. They're honestly the most comfortable sun glasses I've owned. I have a small head, so even the 52mm look big on me.

I've got a pair of Oakleys and Raybans. I use the Raybans when flying cause it makes a better seal on the headset with the thin frame. The Oakleys just hurt after about 30 minutes with the headset on.

I can see this becoming another "anybody who wears aviators is a tool" thread.
I had a pair of Randolph Concorde aviatiors until I lost them the night a 172 left me stranded. :( I had the 57mm and they fit alright. They were a tad tight and I had to push them back up after a while (yeah, I know it sounds contradictory) but overall they were pretty nice. They didn't have the 61mm in the color I wanted. I had a pair of AO's also but I found the 52mm were waaaaayy too small and unbearable. I don't have a particularly large head either (at least I hope not);)

I have been wearing AO Original Pilot sunglasses since 1972 when I first entered the military. They are standard issue to aircrews. Seems to me that any sunglasses good enough to be worn by our pilots who have to deal with closing speeds of Mach 4 is good enough for us to use with our civilian aircraft. About sizing, the mm refers to millimeters across each lens. I wear 52mm with an extra large head. Size has more to do with width of the head but most of us had the 52mm. Hope this helps. By the way, since retiring, I have been buying mine from a retired Marine who is connected with AO in some way. He always has an ad up on e-Bay. Try ad number 250499703941. He can also special order anything you want from AO at the least expensive prices I have ever seen. Just ask him. One more thing, anyone who wears a helmet or headphones should be wearing the bayonet style of temples.

Anyway, I love 'em.

I love mine too - have the same pair. I have a small, narrow head so I went with the 52mm. They're very comfortable glasses - especially with the headset on.

sheeit I'm just broke as a joke without a smoke. I just squint, and when it's really sunny, I just squint more.

Back