Sun-n-Fun - the Summary

ready2fly

Attended my first Sun-N-Fun yesterday and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it!! (of course, I have nothing to compare it to).

Some of the highlights were, of course, the new aircraft displays.
Got to see the new Piper 6X - sweet plane.

Got to sit in the mockup of the Eclipse - talk about futuristic!!

The Socatas were SWEET!!

The Beech aircraft - all of them - were unbelieveably nice and tricked out.

Sat in the Liberty. Cool little plane.

Saw AOPA's Waco that they're giving away. OOOOOOOOH YEAH!!! That thing has Garmin GPS and moving map - it's TRICKED out!!

There's a company called "Riley" out of Cali that refurbs Skymasters for the low, low price of $475,000.00...... after YOU provide the airframe. Cool plane though. ALways like the Skymaster.

The Airshow ROCKED! Some of the highlights were a WWII (actually flew in WWII and Korea) Corsair. A Russian Yak. The T-6 team. The Oracle bi-plane (UNBLIEVABLE that guy!!) and Patricia Wagstaff (to name a few.. there were more - much more).

All the shows left me with my mouth wide open. OUTRAGEOUS skill!!

I think the highlight for me was meeting Col. Robert Morgan - pilot of the Memphis Belle!!!! WOW! I was literally starstruck!!!

Both Rod Marchado and the Kings were no-shows. They had displays, but decided to opt out of Sun-N-Fun. They will be at Oshkosh.

All in all - I wish I had two or more days to see everything. I enjoyed it and REALLY look forward to Oshkosh!!

Sounds cool. I went in '96 and I've wanted to go back ever since, but havn't made it. Since my anniversary is in April, it's kind of hard to sell the wife on an airshow trip.
grin.gif

I did meet Rod Machado there.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the highlight for me was meeting Col. Robert Morgan - pilot of the Memphis Belle!!!! WOW! I was literally starstruck!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW that is cool!

At the AOPA convention in PSP they had some 'famous' faces (to us anyways) including Barry Schiff, Machado, and the Kings. They also had the DA-40 (the four seat Katana) with a glass cockpit; man that thing was sweet.

Hey Ready...

The show was sweet, eh?

I went on Friday...it was all that and more.
The Kings actually were there on Friday...I watched them land their jet...the absolutely most perfect landing I have EVER seen.

There was also a PT-19 there that landed, then flipped tail over nose during the landing roll...I think the pilot and passenger were ok...I don't think you've lived until you've seen an old biplane get flipped upside down. Just goes to show you that you have to be careful with them taildraggers!!!

As an aside...good to be back on...not pursuing professional flying anymore...5 or 6 hours away from my private...which I'm still pursuing...I'm now a pastor in DAB...talk about a change!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Glad you finally got to go to Sun-N-Fun ready! Hopefully you didn't come back with as bad a sunburn as I had!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Glad you finally got to go to Sun-N-Fun ready! Hopefully you didn't come back with as bad a sunburn as I had!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I thoroughly enjoyed it!! Not a bad experience for my first EAA fly-in.

And, nope - the wife and I were well prepared for the sun. We both wore sun-block SPF 15. Still got some rays, but didn't burn.

Good luck with your church!

R2F

Back