Sun Glasses

adreamer

What is about sun glass(prescription)? I can't get polarized sun glass after I told them what my day job is. :p

What is the recommendation from our resident flight suregon? :)

The problem with polarized sunglasses is the LCD displays are difficult if not impossible to read. If you fly an old "steam gauge" cockpit, it is not a problem. During the Viet Nam era, the military routinely issued them to pilots.

If you want to get some with plastic lenses for $93 or polycarbomite lenses for $133, go to http://www.eyeglassdirect.com

just a sidenote: i reeeeally prefer flying with sunglasses that have an amber tint (as opposed to a smoke or a green tint)... they really seem to cut through the haze.

Just to add to what the Dr. said, I've flown the Saab with polarized glasses. My big problem was the rainbow effect on the windshield. I had to take them off one day because the angle of the sun was making the entire runway look red. It was kind of cool, but too confusing for me to get my "greaser" on.

I love Maui Jim titanium glasses and they only make polarized lenses.

That being said...I've never had a problem with glass cockpits and polarized sunglasses. Now if I cock my head to the side....

The problem with polarized sunglasses is the LCD displays are difficult if not impossible to read. If you fly an old "steam gauge" cockpit, it is not a problem. During the Viet Nam era, the military routinely issued them to pilots.

If you want to get some with plastic lenses for $93 or polycarbomite lenses for $133, go to http://www.eyeglassdirect.com

I had that problem when I look at my mp3 player's screen when I wear the polarized glasses. Anything with a LCD screen becomes a problem. I liked the BluBlockers I used to have before they broke and they were hard to find now. I have to go online to buy them now(I wear glasses and use clip-ons and sometimes I wear contacts but wear the glasses more). I used to use BluBlocker sunglasses years ago when I started to fly and they were ok. The only problem was that they made different colors turn dark but never any problems when flying.

Back