Suggestions on grooming yourself for a Corporate career?

ERAU_Intern

Hey everyone. Listen, I am getting ready to graduate from Embry Riddle with a bachelors in Aeronautical Science, and my CFI, CFII, and MEI. I am planning on instructing, and currently I am interning at a regional airline for the summer. The current industry downturn and the things i have experienced around the airline have sort of turned my interests away from part 121 ops. I am however extremely interested in a CAREER in corporate or fractional flying. This is not a "stepping stone" thing. Anyway, I am sure that there are others out there like myself who are looking for a little insight or guidance. So any of you Biz Jet Veterans out there with any suggestions about how to get started down this career path, your comments would me much appreciated. Not just pilots either, I am looking for advice from anyone who has knowledge about this career field which I am regretably not familiar with. Thanks in advance.

Mike

ERAU Intern
The best advice I can give you is to keep doing what you are doing. Getting the ideal job is a process NOT an event. What I mean is every thing you are doing counts towards your goal. While there are some instances where "low" time pilots get a corporate job, I wouldn't wait around for it to happen, certainly if you know someone at a corporation get them to hand carry your resume. Find an opportunity to build total time and instrument time and if possible multi time. The other thing is to make "friends" with some peolple locally who fly corporate and let them know your desires and ask for thier help. Most of us in aviation like to share what we do and how we got there. I get out to PRC every so often, our company has a factory in the valley. I'll email you next time I am out and show you our plane and answer some questions. Good Luck, Luck = Preparation+Opportunity.

Hey, thanks C650CPT! Great Advice. I will be back in prescott in late august. Only till december though. I really want to gain a little insight into the corporate thing. So if you ended up flyin into Love field while I was there, you can bet I would love a look at your jet. Tell ya what, there is this great restaurant on the field, Suzies its called. I will spring for lunch if you can work that out. Thanks!

ERAU Intern
I've been to Susie's a bunch, and it is I who will treat you to lunch, just don't bring the entire student body. We have "shown" the plane before, my Boss is a friend of Dr. Snoden.

NO KIDDING?! I just took a career development class with Barbara Snoden. She is the nicest lady. Anyway, I promise not to bring the whole student body. I am pretty quiet about my plans around Riddle anyway. Way too many eager ears listening. Hey, maybe I could give you a resume, you know, just incase something comes up in your company. Probablly wishful thinking, but you never know. Anyway, thanks again for your pointers. Its a rough industry us low timers are lookin at these days. And those of you who have "made it" are a great source of information and encouragement.

[ QUOTE ]
Way too many eager ears listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did somebody say free lunch?!?!?

I'm there!!!

Errrr... wait.... um..
grin.gif

Well, now an IP knows about the free lunch and we all know how much Instructors love free food. I'll try not to let everyone else in on the secret.

I have forgotten what is was to be a hungry ( in more ways than one ), flight instructor, in fact when I was invited to a friends home for dinner I would show up with emptu tupper ware containers to take home left overs, honest. All right Riddle Rat you can come too, but you better be pretty.

[ QUOTE ]
I have forgotten what is was to be a hungry ( in more ways than one ), flight instructor, in fact when I was invited to a friends home for dinner I would show up with emptu tupper ware containers to take home left overs, honest. All right Riddle Rat you can come too, but you better be pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey 650.....how about a little free food this way so I can avoid an MRE? You corporate types are all $$$$.
smile.gif

Actually, I'd treat if you swung down to TUS......

Hey Mike D, I read that you are flying A-10's I believe. You wouldn't happen to know a Kapusak would you? I believe he may be a Major now. I went to school with him a long time ago and havn't seen him in a few years

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike D, I read that you are flying A-10's I believe. You wouldn't happen to know a Kapusak would you? I believe he may be a Major now. I went to school with him a long time ago and havn't seen him in a few years

[/ QUOTE ]

Think he's still in the Vegas area.

[quote
Hey 650.....how about a little free food this way so I can avoid an MRE? You corporate types are all $$$$.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeD
I feel your pain, I haven't had an MRE in years, ever since I left the Cobra community. When I swithched to VIP transport I gave them up and turned in my TA-50 (Helmet and Web gear). I just flew 4 Generals 1 Col. and a CSM to Ft. Polk, LA this weekend, they stayed in the field eating MRE no doubt while I checked into the Holiday Inn and ate a steak dinner at the Outback, my life sucks.

I'll look you up next time I am in TUS. I've given a few 9 liners to A-10 guys during JAATS. One of my favorite stories was we were doing a JAAT and our liason officer was a F-16 guy. He was obviously bitter so we asked what was up. He'd been an Army Cobra Pilot who hated the Army so he got a lateral to the Air Force and got a F-16 qual. right after that his unit needed a liason to work with the Army and he got the assignment... Back eating Army chow, sleeping in an Army tent, wearing an Air Force Uniform. Irony!

[ QUOTE ]
[quote
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeD
I feel your pain, I haven't had an MRE in years, ever since I left the Cobra community. When I swithched to VIP transport I gave them up and turned in my TA-50 (Helmet and Web gear). I just flew 4 Generals 1 Col. and a CSM to Ft. Polk, LA this weekend, they stayed in the field eating MRE no doubt while I checked into the Holiday Inn and ate a steak dinner at the Outback, my life sucks.

I'll look you up next time I am in TUS. I've given a few 9 liners to A-10 guys during JAATS. One of my favorite stories was we were doing a JAAT and our liason officer was a F-16 guy. He was obviously bitter so we asked what was up. He'd been an Army Cobra Pilot who hated the Army so he got a lateral to the Air Force and got a F-16 qual. right after that his unit needed a liason to work with the Army and he got the assignment... Back eating Army chow, sleeping in an Army tent, wearing an Air Force Uniform. Irony!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny story! Yep that is irony. ALO and now UAVs are the kiss of death to pilots, who barrel over each other to avoid them like the plague.

Hey Mike - Didn't realize you were in TUS - how about some food suggestions out there. Was out there a few weeks ago - we're there for a week every 6 months for recurrent. Apparently I wasn't looking in the right places - I was a bit disappointed at food out there. Everyone raved about El Charro so I went and odered their signature dish - it was by far the worst meat I've ever eaten - terrible. Cattletown was ok I suppose - somewhat decent steak decent price.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike - Didn't realize you were in TUS - how about some food suggestions out there. Was out there a few weeks ago - we're there for a week every 6 months for recurrent. Apparently I wasn't looking in the right places - I was a bit disappointed at food out there. Everyone raved about El Charro so I went and odered their signature dish - it was by far the worst meat I've ever eaten - terrible. Cattletown was ok I suppose - somewhat decent steak decent price.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got my hometown wired if you want food direction. When's the next time you're out here? If you're one who fancies a fine cut of beef, you won't be disappointed!

Prime Rib cooked with a flashlight, as it should be.

Back