SU Tu-154 2 Engine flights?

I'm sure it is safe and all (probably), but I'd refuse to get on that aircraft. As a pilot, "I'm sure it's" or "probably" safe enough is not good enough to go wheels up for me. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I have put in an email about this to a friend of mine who flies in Moscow. He is a former Captain for Aeroflot on the TU-154. I would love more info on this.

And they have number 1 shut down - I guess if they were to lose one of the other engines it would be less difficult to control - ? I need another aerodynamics lesson.

We just joke about MEL-ing engines.....They actually do it:crazy:

Most 3 and 4 engine aircraft are allowed to do ferry flights with one engine inop. Keep the weight down, plenty of runway, and it'll be fine.

I'd be suprised if even the Russians do this with pax on board regardless of what the caption on that pic said.

So it's got two working engines correct? We used to shut down two all the time... :) and we do have a 3 engine ferry permit from the buds at the FAA.

You can, or at least you could, do engine-out ferry flights on the 727. I assume you still can. I know Air Wisconsin did engine out ferrys on the 146.

I'm pretty sure the Falcon tri-jets (50;900) have performance pages for 2 engine take-offs for ferry purposes.

Why am I not surprised one of Connies birds would show up...

Remember when one of his 74s "lost" an engine over lake michigan...
here is my favorite quote:
After the landing, airline personnel found that the engine, one of four Pratt and Whitney JT9D models, was completely gone, FAA officials said.

Cheers
george

I knew a guy who took off single engine in the skyvan because the starter was broken and he didn't want to be stuck in Mekoryuk. When I asked him if he'd do it again, his eyes got really big and he said "NO! That was terrifying."

I knew a guy who took off single engine in the skyvan because the starter was broken and he didn't want to be stuck in Mekoryuk. When I asked him if he'd do it again, his eyes got really big and he said "NO! That was terrifying."
Gotta love Bethel Pilots.

Back