Stupid question about ETA

skateosiris

Hi, I am working on some ground school questions about ETA, and basically for diversions it tells you that at 1:44 you divert, and it takes you 10 minutes to reach your destination, so the ETA would be 1:54. But you reach the half way point at 1:50, so how what woud your changed ETA be?

I feel stupid for asking this, but im a new student

Thanks

Hi, I am working on some ground school questions about ETA, and basically for diversions it tells you that at 1:44 you divert, and it takes you 10 minutes to reach your destination, so the ETA would be 1:54. But you reach the half way point at 1:50, so how what woud your changed ETA be?

Thanks
Basically it is saying your groundspeed is different from what you originally estimated. It is saying it took you six minutes to reach a point you thought would only take you five. Take the distance traveled and match it up with that six minutes on your E6B and that should tell you what the actual groundspeed is, then apply that to the entire route to get the revised ETA.

Or just short cut it and say your new ETE is 12 minutes, making your ETA 1:56

Thanks

Don't feel stupid, it is a basic math question which is a word problem and as we know most people have problems with them.

Start by taking what you know:

The time to your ETA - 10 minutes
Your estimated ETA - 1:54
Time at halfway point - 1:50
Time past to half way point - 6 minutes
Time that should have past to your half way point - 5 minutes

The result is it took 6 minutes instead of 5 to get to your half way point. This means your ETA, which you we know should be a total of 10 minutes is now going to be 12 minutes. Finally, add the extra 2 minutes to your ETA for a new ETA of 1:56.

For any word problem, ALWAYS write down all known information first, start with the big picture. That, starting with the big picture, will apply throughout your aviation training and career, especially with respects to weather briefs.

It is really just a pretty simple problem to figure out. The problem is it's worded kind of obtusely. along the lines of what bdhill said...

"Hmm it took me six minutes to go half way."

Now it looks easy doesn't it?

Back