studying

flyallday

I was just wondering which of all the ground schools was the most difficult to study?

I was also wondering how long did it take to study and pass all the written test?

Thanks

Rich

I feel like you can study and pass all of the writtens anywhere from 1.5 to 2 months. I've taken the ppl written, I studied about a week and a half for it. Then I took the FOI, I studied one night for that one. Now I'm almost done with instrument/cfii which I think will take me about 2.5 weeks when all is said and done. After looking at the cfi and commercial Gleim's they shouldn't be too bad. I don't work so I just study when I get the urge and can usually go about 3 to 4 hours before I need a break.

Smokey

Yeah thats a good estimate Smokey, mine took me about 1 - 2 weeks each, None of it is hard, just time consuming to take in all that information.

How many hours day are you studying?

Right now I am working a 60hr weeks for now so I only have two hours a night and weekends to study. I don’t start the PPL till May but I want to get the PPL written done before March. Then spend some of March and the entire month of April full time studying the other writtens since I will not be working in April.

Also I have been getting some resistance from my local FBO on getting approval for my writtens (especially instrument and CFII) by doing home study for them. (Sounds like they want to rack up some instruction/ground time to make $$$.)

Has anyone run into this problem before? How would this handled or would it be better to wait and take the ACPP writtens at ATP during the PPL program?

Will there be extra time during the PPL to study for ACPP writtens if I don’t get them done before May?
confused.gif

Oh well, back to the books!
smile.gif

PS Like RPM said "It's not hard just time consuming."

Try maintaining internet security constantly being globally hacked 24/7 and database administration and stability on 57 different mission critical financial systems and 3 major development platforms geographically located across the country. Right now that’s my typically 12 hour day. Can’t wait to get out of it!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How many hours day are you studying?

Right now I am working a 60hr weeks for now so I only have two hours a night and weekends to study. I don’t start the PPL till May but I want to get the PPL written done before March. Then spend some of March and the entire month of April full time studying the other writtens since I will not be working in April.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really shouldn't have a problem, since you have about two months. I studied for my PP for about 2-3 hours a day for a week and a half then a solid weekend. I think the instrument/cfii was a little harder so I gave it 2 weeks study time, Now I'm working on my Commercial.

[ QUOTE ]

Also I have been getting some resistance from my local FBO on getting approval for my writtens (especially instrument and CFII) by doing home study for them. (Sounds like they want to rack up some instruction/ground time to make $$$.)

Has anyone run into this problem before? How would this handled or would it be better to wait and take the ACPP writtens at ATP during the PPL program?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to recommend with that, I took the courses through UVSC and I told the instructor I was ready to take the tests and he gave me approval, no questions asked. I think ATP can sign you off if you ask.

I've heard that during the PPL you will have some free time especially if you already have the written done, and even more time during the time building.

I had a little problem with getting signed off to take the ppl written exam, and I took it at an ATP location! The instructor didn't want to sign me off to take the exam even though I was doing the ACPP. He said if I failed his certificate number would be on the test and reflect negatively on him, which is understandable. But I don't think anyone is going to plop down 90 bucks to fail. So now whenever I go there to take an exam I bring him lunch from subway(gotta help out the poor cfi's ya know)
wink.gif
. He's a nice guy though and gave me some good tips on how to make it through the course. However, he said he is leaving in acouple of weeks. Ironically he was doing some instruction for a lady who was going for her ATP. She was flying out of Houston Hobby at some corporate outfit and she thought he was a pretty good pilot and recommended him for a job. He interviewed and got hired and is about to start school to fly a westwind.

Smokey.

By the way, this is a westwind
[image]http://www.airliners.net/open.file/474363/M/
[/image]

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, this is a westwind
[image]http://www.airliners.net/open.file/474363/M/
[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Low-ri-der, that thing is slammed to da weeds man
grin.gif

Man thats a "low one". Not much room for error on heavy crosswind approaches with this one.
shocked.gif

Thanks for your advice!

smokey1- many cfi's won't want to sign you off for writtens that are way ahead of where your currently at. if you encounter anymore problems just do some practice writtens on the computer and print out the results. show the cfi two three written results with a passing score and he shoudn't have any problem signing you off. the only written i took before starting the acpp was the instrument. the rest i took after i started and had absolutley no problem getting them done and i had a ton of free time. i had to call my old private instructor and he mailed me an endorsement for the instrument written. if you have the time, sure get them all done but if not it's really not that big of a deal. people overstress the importance of getting them ALL done before you start.

Thanks for the advice Hollywood. The reason I've been really pushing to get them all done is because of all the posts that I have read here on Jetcareers. On my tour i found out that most students that were there hadn't taken all of their writtens. When I arrive I'll probably only need to take the cfi written. I'm just trying to make this as easy on myself as possible.

Smoke

cool.gif
LOL, smokey1 is trying to "raise the bar at ATP" . If you got the time go for it!

As for me I am trying to get as may writtens done before my ACPP so I can focus on the flying and checkrides but I will not take a test unless I know the information inside and out and can get a high score on the test.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
just do some practice writtens on the computer and print out the results. show the cfi two three written results with a passing score and he shoudn't have any problem signing you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I do. I did a private written for an incoming student, and asked him to take a practice test on the Gleim software installed on our computers. He passed, I signed him off, took and passed the real thing.

I think it is important to finish the IRA, FII and CAX exams before arriving. You won't be allowed to start flying the cross countries until they are done.

[ QUOTE ]
As for me I am trying to get as may writtens done before my ACPP so I can focus on the flying and checkrides but I will not take a test unless I know the information inside and out and can get a high score on the test.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class in med school?

Doctor
wink.gif

That said, it's a personal goal to do well on the tests for me, too, but I won't jump off a bridge if I don't score 100%.

I took my Instrumant and FII at the same time just before starting the instrument training. When I finiished and got the instrument ticket, I studied the Commercial, Instructor and FOI, and they all took about a week. ATP allows about a week in the schedule to handle those, mixed in there was a x-country pairing ride and the Citation training. I start doing the x-country trips tomorrow. Happy Super Bowl.

Dale,

Good luck and have fun on the X-County portion! That was far and away my favorite part of the program! Hope to see you flying through Dallas!

Bob

im graduating high school this year and want to attend ACPP anywhere....i intend to come back to my current airport where i work and instruct and go to school...capt. bob ...have you seen anyone get denied entry to ACPP....i am taking my private checkride in 12 days...

my old instructor attended ACPP in Manassas (sp?)...and if at all possible this is surely my first choice...

thanks for ur help

-Seth

Seth,

First of all, Good luck on your Private Checkride! I know how your feeling right now!
smile.gif

Secondly, I have seen individuals not get recommended for the program. However, coming right off of a private checkride puts you into a good position for an interview with ATP. Their test in the interview has to do with (mostly) private pilot information, and your phone interview with the VP will be over your current or most recent training location, your airplane, and your airspace that you are flying in.

ATP is looking for someone with a good grasp of aviation knowlege and skill, and also someone who is open to learning. Part of your interview will be a SIM ride to see how well you take instruction. Just be professional, keep an open mind, ask questions, and be willing to learn. We can't ask for more than that...

... except for your money...
smile.gif
LOL!

Just relax... don't worry about ATP just yet. Let's get you through your Private first. Be sure and update the board on how it went too!

Bob

thanks captain bob,

that was the kind of info i needed to hear...i planned on getting mt private so i can fly down to one of the schools for a tour /interview and log some x/c time.

but i will keep you updated and we'll see how it goes.

-falcon

Back