Student pilot horror story's

I strongly prefer checks, easier accounting. Cash is a pain because the there's always either a credit or a shortage to deal with (damn it, I'm an instructor not a cashier).

I always paid in cash, my instructors liked that :)

I'm the same way. I once had a flight, forgot that I withdrew cash from the ATM that morning. Went to pay with the card, got declined (very embarrassing) and couldn't stop laughing because all I could think of was kevin harts "The way I got my back account set up" line from his comedy. Luckily I remembered I had withdrew the cash for that flight and was able to pay...but boy still embarrassing.

On a side note: I'm not in an instructor, but I can also see how frustrating it may be to deal with (probably a know it all pilot) who is concerned for the costs of anything that has some sort of clear legal, medical, or insurable clause attached to it.

I always paid in cash, my instructors liked that :)
It is nice... But I never have change so I either get shorted or they think I'm trying to milk them. Plus I can't pay any of my bills with cash so it's all got to end up in the bank at some point anyway. Did make me feel like a baller when I had a weeks worth of flying in my wallet :p

It is nice... But I never have change so I either get shorted or they think I'm trying to milk them. Plus I can't pay any of my bills with cash so it's all got to end up in the bank at some point anyway. Did make me feel like a baller when I had a weeks worth of flying in my wallet :p

LOL, for whatever reason a lot of my students pay cash even though I dont encourage it. It does make me feel like a drug dealer when I forget for a few days and I'm walking around with the Benjamins popping out all over.

I feel like I should get a giant gold and diamond studded CFI medallion to hang around my neck.

I did have part 61 instructors that I trusted so I would throw a few hundred at a time at them, fly it off and give them more. My IFR wrap up and my CSEL were a flat rate deal so I just gave him the cash when we were done.

Thankfully I didn't have to pay my 141 instructors directly. Wouldn't trust those two with my ex-wife ;)

I'd be more concerned about a student coming up with a checkbook.

"You take personal checks, right?"
"Hahaha! Oh... wait. You're serious. Um... no."

Checks are way easier to deal with. Either picture-deposit, or drop in the mail.

Most of my students pay cash though

I have a Square account and offer to accept credit cards, have never had a customer use it. Most of my customers pay in cash, maybe 1/3 pay with check.
Same here, have had square for over a year not one transaction yet.

Always cash or check, weird because I always used my debit card while training to earn points,

Checks are way easier to deal with. Either picture-deposit, or drop in the mail.

Most of my students pay cash though
Picture deposit is awesome until you get a student with crappy hand writing and end up having to go to the bank anyway because the app can't recognize the amount. :D

Picture deposit is awesome until you get a student with crappy hand writing and end up having to go to the bank anyway because the app can't recognize the amount. :D

Get a stack of deposit mailers from your bank. Drop in mailbox. Hit the easy button as chillax.

I know that it's a slight hit to the profit, but any instructors out there use Square (www.squareup.com) or something along those lines?

I was a little late on this thread, and I was going to respond with the same thing ... then I saw you'd already mentioned it. :>

Square, fellas. CDB. Expecting cash or check in 2013 (that's a '20' in front...) is just plain archaic.

People get direct deposit. They don't go to banks anymore. Many people (myself included) never carry cash.

As far as checks ... I usually carry an 'emergency' checkbook... but generally speaking, it's credit or nothing. (Or sometimes paypal)

~Fox

I have a Square account and offer to accept credit cards, have never had a customer use it. Most of my customers pay in cash, maybe 1/3 pay with check.

Where are you, exactly? (You're welcome to be less exact and more general—I'm more curious about region)

~Fox

Back