Struggling with Career ideas

Ace0607

I come back and forth to this forum only to read around a lot and question. Here's my situation:
I am currently enrolled in an university in CO, starting in two weeks as a freshman with a major in Biochemistry (subject to change). My current plan is to become a pharmacist, but have been contemplating a non-medical profession. I've always wanted to fly since I was a kid, but my parents never really thought of it as a "real" job. They want me to get a PharmD and be a professional, but I don't live for them in terms of what would make THEM happy.

I am checking out a Part 61 flight school in CO Springs and ask more about the professional world of aviation as far as piloting goes, and here are a few questions:
  1. Does having an ATPL affect commercial employment at all? (i.e someone with a CPL and a ATPL apply for a corporate position, and I do know that a CPL cannot apply for airlines)
  2. Is there a viable source website that explains all possible flight industries other than airlines, corporate, and freight?
  3. Would having a degree in something unrelated to aviation be at a disadvantage against someone who does?
  4. Which aviation field has the best job security? I don't plan on having a family so sleeping at home every night isn't a necessity.
  5. Would I be at a disadvantage for having 22k (estimated) in student loan debt for obtaining my bachelors?
  6. Is 45k/yr considered financially stable for residing in the state of CO with no plans on raising a family?
  7. How is the aviation job outlook for commercial pilots? Airline pilots?
I apologize if these questions have already been asked. But I want to think realistically. I know I won't get an airlines job right away. Hell I'm not even sure if I want to work at the airlines and never getting an ATPL. I've heard of many parts of the aviation field getting furloughed (i.e the ATCs in JFK) and I'm sure there probably isn't a furlough-proof position. I just want to research before changing my career path.

Thanks in advance!

I come back and forth to this forum only to read around a lot and question. Here's my situation:
I am currently enrolled in an university in CO, starting in two weeks as a freshman with a major in Biochemistry (subject to change). My current plan is to become a pharmacist, but have been contemplating a non-medical profession. I've always wanted to fly since I was a kid, but my parents never really thought of it as a "real" job. They want me to get a PharmD and be a professional, but I don't live for them in terms of what would make THEM happy.

I am checking out a Part 61 flight school in CO Springs and ask more about the professional world of aviation as far as piloting goes, and here are a few questions:
  1. Does having an ATPL affect commercial employment at all? (i.e someone with a CPL and a ATPL apply for a corporate position, and I do know that a CPL cannot apply for airlines)
  2. Is there a viable source website that explains all possible flight industries other than airlines, corporate, and freight?
  3. Would having a degree in something unrelated to aviation be at a disadvantage against someone who does?
  4. Which aviation field has the best job security? I don't plan on having a family so sleeping at home every night isn't a necessity.
  5. Would I be at a disadvantage for having 22k (estimated) in student loan debt for obtaining my bachelors?
  6. Is 45k/yr considered financially stable for residing in the state of CO with no plans on raising a family?
I apologize if these questions have already been asked. But I want to think realistically. I know I won't get an airlines job right away. Hell I'm not even sure if I want to work at the airlines and never getting an ATPL. I've heard of many parts of the aviation field getting furloughed (i.e the ATCs in JFK) and I'm sure there probably isn't a furlough-proof position. I just want to research before changing my career path.

Thanks in advance!

Problem solved: Become a Pharmacist AND fly commercially. The other first officer from a couple months ago did just that.

Stack that cheddar.

Does having an ATPL affect commercial employment at all? (i.e someone with a CPL and a ATPL apply for a corporate position, and I do know that a CPL cannot apply for airlines)

No. You will need an ATP for many jobs (including some entry level ones). When applying for a job they are going to look at a) are you qualified b) your experience and c) your personality and connections. If the job doesn't require an ATP but you have one anyway, that won't hurt you and it may help you. Think of it as like somebody having a Masters vs. a Bachelors degree.

Is there a viable source website that explains all possible flight industries other than airlines, corporate, and freight?

You're on it.

Would having a degree in something unrelated to aviation be at a disadvantage against someone who does?

No. People will argue this one both ways, mostly depending on what their degree is in, but from my experience it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Which aviation field has the best job security? I don't plan on having a family so sleeping at home every night isn't a necessity.

I don't think any of them have guaranteed security. Best? Who knows. Airlines don't shut down (mostly) over night like some corporate flight departments do, but there are advantages to those flight departments.

Would I be at a disadvantage for having 22k (estimated) in student loan debt for obtaining my bachelors?

Try to avoid debt, but if you have to 22k isn't bad considering what other people have gotten stuck with recently.

Is 45k/yr considered financially stable for residing in the state of CO with no plans on raising a family?

Probably not. Not to mention you are a freshman in college. Your plans in regards to family and what not may change 50 times over the next few years. 45k is livable but I would aspire to make a whole lot more.

How is the aviation job outlook for commercial pilots? Airline pilots?

Keep in mind, "commercial pilots" are simply pilots who get paid to fly. Airlines pilots are commercial pilots. I'm guessing you mean corporate pilots and airlines pilots.

The job outlook for the airline side is better than it was in the last few years, but not terribly great. Lots of downward pressures still. Corporate hinges mostly on the economy (flight departments always are one of the first things cut in a downturn) so it is probably looking slightly better than the past few years as well.

Since you need the degree anyways to hit the top jobs, I'd stick with the biochem thing and try to do whatever flying you can on the side. A non-aviation degree certainly isn't going to hurt you. You can see how things are after four years and still go either way. You are very young and can afford to take some time to figure out which way to go. That's a big plus.

Staying single is a great advantage and benefit for career pilots, especially in the beginning. The more factors that tie you down the more the career can become....difficult.

22K in student loans sounds cheap and very reasonable. Getting your ratings up through CFI is gonna cost you at least that, I'd bet.

There are no guarantees in the biz and no absolute job security. Skills and experience levels are transferable to some degree but if you're at a union airline, you always start at the bottom.

It's hard to predict the future but I believe there will be a lot of movement in 7 to 10 years. So many retirements at the top tier jobs (including mine).

I remember telling people 10 years ago that just about anyone could make 100K in this biz if you stuck with it. Not sure I'd agree with myself, anymore, so maybe I should shut up...haha. There was a time where it seemed a regional career at 100K was an easy probability but there has been a lot of downward pressure on recent contracts.

When I go to the pharmacy for my cholesterol med (getting old is hell), I see that guy in the white suit behind the counter. I'm sorry, but that job looks boring as hell, 9 to 5, 40 hours a week, standing there in the pharmacy counting pills. I don't know what it pays but flying is way more fun and challenging. Perhaps a lot more work, and not home all the time, but counting pills looks pretty dull and wouldn't work for me. And I'm pretty boring and like classical music...

My answers are in red. My perspective comes from flying for a living for 5 years, currently flying freight at Ameriflight. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

Air Ambulance, a good place to go to shed debt since the pay is descent(50-70k), and many part 135 charter operations DO require an ATP. A CPL can still apply to the regional airlines, but you do have to meet ATP hourly requirements. For now at least.
    You name any job in aviation, someone on this forum probably does it. Most are more than willing to help anyone out with questions and even getting a job too. There are other forums, but IMO, this one is the best.
    If you USE it, definitely. In my opinion, using it as a back up 20 years later isn't going to help you. As said already, depends what it's in. I will say, most aviation jobs give you plenty of time to work at something on the side.
    There's downsides to all. Regarding corporate flying, it depends on how they use their fleet. I always use John Deere as an example. They use their fleet for customer support. They SAVE 6 million a year, They are very VERY unlikely to shut down their flight department. Corporate flying varies greatly though. Some are the best jobs in aviation, some are the worst. There is no "normal" in this area. 121 is fairly consistent from company to company really. Which is a plus to me. Post 9/11 is the worst downswing I've personally seen. Just know that it is cyclical.

Feeder freight(the guys flying small turbo-props for UPS/FedEx into smaller towns) is solid as a rock right now.
    At my company at least, turnover is so high, even if we lose contracts, it'd be unlikely you lost your job.
    Not at all in my opinion. Some of my friend's debt is above 100k and they're doing fine.
    Couldn't tell you for certain. If cost of living is similar to the Midwest, you'd be living comfortably on that.(modest house, descent car, not starving, ect...)
    I've been on this forum for over a decade. Things look absolutely fantastic in my opinion in the entry and middle level job markets. The more sought after major airline and good corporate gigs are always going to be more competitive. I'm not going to say "pilot shortage", but there will be retirements and movement.

I will add that approaching aviation as a passion, not just a job, makes things much easier in the early years.

I remember telling people 10 years ago that just about anyone could make 100K in this biz if you stuck with it. Not sure I'd agree with myself, anymore, so maybe I should shut up...haha. There was a time where it seemed a regional career at 100K was an easy probability but there has been a lot of downward pressure on recent contracts.

When I go to the pharmacy for my cholesterol med (getting old is hell), I see that guy in the white suit behind the counter. I'm sorry, but that job looks boring as hell, 9 to 5, 40 hours a week, standing there in the pharmacy counting pills. I don't know what it pays but flying is way more fun and challenging. Perhaps a lot more work, and not home all the time, but counting pills looks pretty dull and wouldn't work for me. And I'm pretty boring and like classical music...

I'd say you can absolutely still make 100k in aviation if you stick with it, continue to move upwards and not sideways, and don't get too comfortable.

I know 2 pharmacists, and neither of them work 9-5 m-f. Both works wild swing shifts and also get large chunks of time off.

Staying single is a great advantage and benefit for career pilots, especially in the beginning. The more factors that tie you down the more the career can become....difficult.

Meh. True for some not true for others. Depends who you get involved with. No way could I have made it through the early years without my wife's support...that includes financial support.

Re: Air Ambo: This would be a PERFECT job for someone who has a remunerative "other profession", but wants to fly professionally as well.

Thanks in advance!

I tell you from the bottom of my heart, if you have the ability to and the intelligence to be a pharmacist, don't even think about being a professional pilot.

The baby boom is on the doorstep of old age. The medical profession will not lack for customers for many years to come.

If you have a passion to fly, become a pharmacist, then become a flight instructor and share that passion.

But, don't take my word for it. Listen to what this gentleman who you will recognize has to say on the subject:

Back