Stripmarking, Board Management, Phraseology

InTheSky

What are some tips any of you experienced controllers may have regarding effective stripmarking, proper phraseology when issuing clearances...I'm in OKC struggling through non-radar, it's a drag and I feel like I'm struggling to understand all the restrictions/communication, etc...
Any help for this noob would be much appreciated!

:banghead:

:)

What are some tips any of you experienced controllers may have regarding effective stripmarking, proper phraseology when issuing clearances...I'm in OKC struggling through non-radar, it's a drag and I feel like I'm struggling to understand all the restrictions/communication, etc...

Memorize your phraseology and say things exactly the same everytime. If it becomes a habit, ie the order in which you clear somebody for the ILS,
you won't have to think about it everytime you do it. Non-radar just sucks all around, no help there.

HD

I am in Non-Radar right now at ERAU (not that any comparison can be made between the two classes, I assume yours is much much more challenging), do they let you take a practice set of strips home? I take a set home after every class and run the scenario a couple of times at home. It's really helpful.

This thread would probably get a lot more responses in the ATC forum. I'm putting a mod request in to move it over there.

I worked non radar via strips for many years. The most important thing to remember working non radar is to be very methodical, you live or die by your mechanics when you separate traffic non radar.

Remember to:

• Canter out strips for flights that need coordination or attention
  • Write clearly
  • make sure you circle in red all items that are coordinated
  • try not to run wrong altitude for direction, wrong height for flight can get you in trouble real fast
  • Pre plan as much as you can... nothing should be a surprise
  • remember to restrict for crossing and longitudinal separation
Over the years the trainees that struggled with non radar did so because they did not mind their panel properly... write as neatly as you can, keep your bays organized and follow through on each task before moving on to the next. If you climb an A/C carry that altitude through on all strips before you answer the landline. I can not count how many people failed problems or had errors for not doing the latter.

Hope the info helps.

I'm doing non-radar EnRoute right now as well. (We finish Nonradar Thursday) KNOW YOUR PHRASEOLOGY! Gives you alot more time to figure the problem out if you aren't stumbling over the "easy" stuff. Practice writing while you talk. Also a huge help.

Just like Fox Xray said, offset the strips that you need to do something with. Keep strips needing a departure clearance offset until you have cleared them.

As far as preplanning, take care of all your TUX, IAFDOF, MOA, and R931A stuff first, then go to arrivals starting with JAN arrivals. If you have time left, start preplanning departures.

Get set in your ways. Do everything in the same order everytime.

PM if you want some more help.

Back