Streamline Air-KAUS

hill country

Good afternoon everyone!
Anyone have any current info on Streamline Air at KAUS? Did a search on them and didn't find anything recent. I'd be looking at doing their pro pilot program. I know they are an all Diamond fleet and I've heard good and some not so good things about that aircraft. Main questions about the academy are 1) does anyone have experience with them? 2) How busy are they? More specifically with the twin? I'd like to instruct wherever I do my training if there is the potential to get some good twin time. (big surprise)!I'm also looking at ATP but Streamline is a little closer to home so paying as I go is a little easier. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Good afternoon everyone!
Anyone have any current info on Streamline Air at KAUS? Did a search on them and didn't find anything recent. I'd be looking at doing their pro pilot program. I know they are an all Diamond fleet and I've heard good and some not so good things about that aircraft. Main questions about the academy are 1) does anyone have experience with them? 2) How busy are they? More specifically with the twin? I'd like to instruct wherever I do my training if there is the potential to get some good twin time. (big surprise)!I'm also looking at ATP but Streamline is a little closer to home so paying as I go is a little easier. Any thoughts are appreciated!

At present, Streamline has sold their twin and has no immediate plans in the future to acquire another one.

I've flown with them once, and had a positive experience, and have strongly considered using them for part of my IR training. I've had lengthy conversations with several CFIs there and spoken with the owners on separate occasions. They shoot straight, won't try to oversell you anything, and they're really nice folks.

They are not the cheapest place in the world, and they seem to pay their instructors decently, from what I've been told.

Finally, as for their schedule, it's slower right now according to the CFI I spoke with as recently as friday.

Yeah, I just got a call back from one of the owners and they told me about the twinstar leaving the property. Hate to hear that. It was exciting to see an ATP style program in AUS. The person I talked to seemed like a really good guy. Hope they can get a twin in the future.

Yeah, I just got a call back from one of the owners and they told me about the twinstar leaving the property. Hate to hear that. It was exciting to see an ATP style program in AUS. The person I talked to seemed like a really good guy. Hope they can get a twin in the future.

Did you talk to Matt or Cory? Both are good guys. They're good about callbacks.

Are you looking for instruction or rental or both in AUS? Because I've pretty much scoured the area and know what's where.

I would like to see Streamline succeed just on the basis of the quality people they have, but I do worry about the costs. The DA40s they have are G1000 airplanes, which is nice, but at something like $149 an hour, they're a little steep. The DA20 is $115 per hour, but the fact that you can't do any IMC in it limits its utility as an IFR trainer.

That said, the DA20 is fun as hell to fly. :)

There are other options in AUS, although they're limited. Depends on what you're looking for.

I know of at least one flying club that has a $9K buy-in, and then your hourly rate is something like $50 an hour on 4 nice, complex aircraft. Plus an equity position, which is cool.

Really looking for both rental and instruction. The truth is I'm looking to change careers so I'm looking for a place where I can get everything from Inst. through MEI, and hopefully get some good multi time with a school that gets alot of use on it's twins. Pilots choice here at GTU is another option, but I don't have much info on them. I'm also looking at ATP, but if there is an option closer to home then I definately want to look into it. It's sad and I hate to see it, but AUS doesn't seem have alot of GA options. With all the disposable income around here that kind of surprises me!

Really looking for both rental and instruction. The truth is I'm looking to change careers so I'm looking for a place where I can get everything from Inst. through MEI, and hopefully get some good multi time with a school that gets alot of use on it's twins. Pilots choice here at GTU is another option, but I don't have much info on them. I'm also looking at ATP, but if there is an option closer to home then I definately want to look into it. It's sad and I hate to see it, but AUS doesn't seem have alot of GA options. With all the disposable income around here that kind of surprises me!

I lived in Austin for 4 years and did all of my training there (PPL - CFII...no MEI but I did my Com Multi at Pilot's Choice). I've posted a few similar thoughts in threads over the years, so you might just do a search here for "Austin." Feel free to PM me if you want my number to talk it over in more detail, but here are a few thoughts to get you started.

• Streamline: I've never worked with them, but the facilities are nice, the airplanes are new and well maintained, and the owners seem like smart guys. They will tell you that their market is pretty much Westlake. If you don't mind paying a lot, it seems like a good place to train. As Bill mentioned, the twin is gone and will not be returning.
  • Pilot's Choice: Is a great place for students, but a miserable place for instructors. I know because I filled both rolls for a time. If you don't mind kissing ass and making it clear at all times that your services will benefit the women that run the show there, you might enjoy it. I hate cats and incompetence, so I didn't mesh well. I haven't been in for a while so I don't know what the current instructors are like. I can put you in touch with a guy on the way out of there if you want a better gouge on the current happenings. They have two Duchesses and I'm sure you could find plenty of instructors chomping at the bit to fly them with you.
There are several more options down there, but nothing that is going to move quickly or without frustrations. I know there is at least one good instructor at Austin Academy, but most of the others were Pilot's Choice rejects. Bill mentioned the Chandelle flying club...I know a guy out there that can give you more details, but he was not thrilled with the maintenance. He may have been blowing smoke - who knows. Let me know if you want his information.

Bottom line: There are good opportunities in Austin if you are not in a hurry.

Send me a PM, I can give you the run down on just about all the schools in the area.. I'll be teaching at GTU in the next week or so.

No, I plan to be down at Wright. my CFI ride is this upcoming week.

I've known people that work or worked for Beth. don't think I'm applying there.

I send you a PM a few weeks back asking you about your CFI ride, don't know if you ever got it.

Just got a put in an additional word for these guys...

Yesterday, in an effort to burn some of the time I bought on a guy's plane, I took a photographer friend on a flight (pics to follow.)

I had recently switched flight bags and forgot to pack my headsets. So on the way to the airport I called over to Streamline. Matt was there, answered the phone. I explained my situation, and asked if he'd rent me a headset for a couple of hours.

He let me borrow one for free, had me drop it off at Signature after the flight.

He didn't have to do that; I wasn't even flying his plane, and it was short notice on a Sunday. He did that because he's a nice guy. Really appreciated that.

Back