Stratus 2 vs Garmin 796

spoolinup22

Need to get more reliable weather up front, tend to be low 20's to mid 40's frequently and our Garmin 686 isn't cutting it anymore. For some reason we can't pick up service about FL 210 no matter where we put the antenna.

Looking at the Stratus 2 and it seems that it's the logical choice, however I'm curious to what everyone else thinks that uses one.

Are there any issues with connecting to the satellites at altitude? Anything else?

As someone that flies with both the Stratus 2, and the Garmin 796... The Garmin 796 is hands better than the Stratus. Timely updates, great signal, XM music, way more weather products instantly. The Stratus is slow to get signal if you do get one (located in the Rocky mountains). Radar and Metars is about all you get. The nice thing about the Stratus is that its free subscription!

You paying for it? Stratus.
Company paying for it? XM.

You'll pay more for decent XM weather for a year than the one time purchase of a Stratus.

If you're in the flight levels get the external antenna for the Stratus 2. We've been using one in a Lear 45 for about six months. For most of the time I was very underwhelmed with its performance. We've flown west coast to Illinois and back with the external antenna and now I'm impressed. It's like a completely different device. We have it back in the lav with the antenna suction cupped to the last window as well as the external gps antenna. I'm sure it would work fine up front as well. If you've got an iPad already, I'd go with a Stratus just to keep from having two devices. If you're not invested in either one the 796 might be a good choice. I haven't used the 796 personally though.

We have an original stratus and it works ok. Takes a while for the radar information to load but it's ok. Used in conjunction with the onboard radar and it's a good set up and free.

We have an original stratus and it works ok. Takes a while for the radar information to load but it's ok. Used in conjunction with the onboard radar and it's a good set up and free.

I've used the stratus in the gulfstream and it works, most of the time. I haven't found any reliability with the Garmin in the flight levels. Now that stratus2 with the external antenna idea sounds spot on. That being said, I somehow got cell phone service for about five minutes once at FL450, and even received a text... so anything can work sometimes.

Need to get more reliable weather up front, tend to be low 20's to mid 40's frequently and our Garmin 686 isn't cutting it anymore. For some reason we can't pick up service about FL 210 no matter where we put the antenna.

Looking at the Stratus 2 and it seems that it's the logical choice, however I'm curious to what everyone else thinks that uses one.

Are there any issues with connecting to the satellites at altitude? Anything else?
My fav box has been the G696 with XM Aviator subscription. We have a Stratus 2 now, which is sometimes used. Not very good, slow, etc. Better than nothing, but remember...it is free. We also have some XM info avail on a G500 box in cockpit. Much better and quicker. XM subs are just better, but not free.

Back