Story on Chinese C919 in todays WSJ

beasly

0022190fd3300c10526034.jpg

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-09/08/content_8668764.htm

b.

So, all they did was basically steal the data from Airbus, when they are assembling those A320's over there in China. Just like China did with the new ARJ21, regional jet as they call it. Turns out the ARJ21 is nothing more than a copy of the DC-9 series, with wiglets and CRJ engines. Tough to deny its a blant copy (on the ARJ21), when the fuselage has the same shape, including the double bubble of Douglas

Industrial espionage is alive and well.

Why spend the time/effort/money to perform the research and engineering yourself when you can steal it from someone else who does, and with darn-near impunity?

Remember, McDoug entered into an agreement with the Chinese to build copies of the MD-80and MD-90. It is not like the Chinese stole anything. It was given to them. and the tooling used to produce the ARJ-21 came from...??? Yep, McDoug.

I never said they stole it. They had tooling legally. However, I doubt they hade/have right to modify the design and use it. The same with this new C919. They are assembling the A320 over there for Airbus, so they'll just take the stuff they learn, and use it.

I never said they stole it. They had tooling legally. However, I doubt they hade/have right to modify the design and use it. The same with this new C919. They are assembling the A320 over there for Airbus, so they'll just take the stuff they learn, and use it.

Well the Chinese have a history of doing that. So maybe outsourcing it to them isn't the brightest idea that management has ever had?

And the west is not the only recipient of this behavior. The Russians let the Chinese build their copies of the Su-27. China has come up with an upgrade and is marketing it AND COMPETING with Russia for some contracts. The Russians are NOT letting the Chinese see their upgraded Flankers.
And too, we see an airplane the Chinese call the J-10 which appears to have considerable similarities to the Israeli Lavi which the US poured billions into. Israel decided it was too costly and never produced it.

Lesson learned? The Chinese are inscrutable.

As Chinese capability develops in the coming years it will be interesting to watch Boeing and Airbus. Over the last decade most of their sales have been to Asian markets.

Dateline: Jetcareers

"'Strategic Vision' which appears to extend no further than the next quarterly statement turns out to be bad for long term profitability"

Lots of guys with great teeth whose job titles involve three letter acronyms and whose primary qualification for employment is an MBA reacted angrily today to charges from "lazy union malcontents" that outsourcing skilled labor functions could have potentially disasterous long term economic consequences.

"What are you, some kind of racist?" asked Chauncey Spencer Drysdale III, CEO of Strategic Holistic Integrated Tactical Solutions (presumably rhetorically). "The Chinese are our buddies. They certainly paid for my daughter's sweet 16 ice castle and ferrari. They're nice guys with my I mean our best interests at heart. This relationship is totally sustainable...we keep writing them IOUs, and they keep giving us money! Pardon me, but it's about tee time!"

Re: Israel, J-10, Lavi, etc. I think you missed a lesson. The Chinese are inscrutable, and if the Israelis can't sell the weapons we paid for them to develop to compete against our own weapons with our blessing, they'll just do without it.

Remember, McDoug entered into an agreement with the Chinese to build copies of the MD-80and MD-90. It is not like the Chinese stole anything. It was given to them. and the tooling used to produce the ARJ-21 came from...??? Yep, McDoug.
Thank God someone here knows this and I don't have to type it out.

Like when the Koreans bought the F-16 design some 15-20 years ago and illegally modified it into the Golden Eagle.

Wait... that wasn't illegal.

And the west is not the only recipient of this behavior. The Russians let the Chinese build their copies of the Su-27. China has come up with an upgrade and is marketing it AND COMPETING with Russia for some contracts. The Russians are NOT letting the Chinese see their upgraded Flankers.
And too, we see an airplane the Chinese call the J-10 which appears to have considerable similarities to the Israeli Lavi which the US poured billions into. Israel decided it was too costly and never produced it.

Lesson learned? The Chinese are inscrutable.
When it comes to high grade US weapons for sale at outlandish costs Israel always 3rd parties them for us (to the Chinese). UAV's, radar systems, integrated weapon technology, and any number of things that aren't publicly announced.

If you get bored, watch every few years as the EU pushes the US to allow them to sell weapons to the Chinese. Then we threaten to pull any number of Defense contracts from them, then they shape up and the cycle renews. EU wants a cut of the profits of selling US made or designed weapon systems.

We are iron mongers, turns a great profit. Been going on for years. I'd think pumping out a DC-9 copy would be the least of everyone's concerns.

News flash, we are also going to start selling plans for the F-22 airframe to the highest bidder. Radars equipped separately.

Like when the Koreans bought the F-16 design some 15-20 years ago and illegally modified it into the Golden Eagle.

Wait... that wasn't illegal.

You know just as well as I do, that if Lockmart bought a 737, and some tooling, and built the same airplane, that Boeing would sue them until the day the Earth ends.

So, my question is, why do we let this crap happen in China?

You know just as well as I do, that if Lockmart bought a 737, and some tooling, and built the same airplane, that Boeing would sue them until the day the Earth ends.

So, my question is, why do we let this crap happen in China?
If you get real bored, look back and find out how the Brits and French got into powered flight.

Simplest answer to your question, I suppose, is that the rest of the world does not respect intellectual property rights. I doubt they ever will.

Addon: If it makes you feel any better, generally speaking, if you gave the Chinese an Aegis Destroyer and they put every person and dollar into reverse engineering it, it still takes these guys about 5 years. That comforts me anyway.

Back