Stick and Rudder..

Seggy said:
According to the Flight Safety Foundation "Over the five years of 2004 to 2008, the latest for which complete data is available, the general aviation accident rate for Alaska was 13.59 mishaps per every 100,000 flying hours. That is more than two times worse than the comparable figure for the United States as whole: 5.85 accidents per 100,000 flying hours."
Eh, it doesn't need to be twice as bad as the national average. If the operators invested in better equipment, better safety cultures, etc., it would be a lot better.
You took a GA safety record and applied it to operators with safety cultures, implying commercial operation of some sort. Note that these two things are quite different. There are a LOT of 20 year long "student" pilots. I saw an airplane ground looped a few weeks ago. Guy had over 4500 logged hours, but only held a student certificate from 1980 something. Some people actually go get the thing endorsed every now and then. Most don't, and many don't even bother with much formal instruction. So you can't really say that GA follows all the rules, and you certainly can't compare crap like that to professional pilots.

Last edited:
You took a GA safety record and applied it to operators with safety cultures, implying commercial operation of some sort. Note that these two things are quite different. There are a LOT of 20 year long "student" pilots. I saw an airplane ground looped a few weeks ago. Guy had over 4500 logged hours, but only held a student certificate from 1980 something. Some people actually go get the thing endorsed every now and then. Most don't, and many don't even bother with much formal instruction. So you can't really say that GA follows all the rules, and you certainly can't compare crap like that to professional pilots.

I told a guy to gent bent recently because he came to me wanting a solo sign off, he's been a student for 8 years.
He openly admitted he had no plan to get his certificate.
He doesn't want the liability was his excuse.
So I told him the exact same thing!

Nark said:
The problem dear boy, is that you as an outsider don't know what is safe and what is dangerous.

There is that group think again!

There is nothing dangerous about that video. It is nothing more than calculated risk. Guess what, just like 100% of 121 flights.

Explain to me why that video isn't dangerous?

And since you've never been through a part 135 Alaskan ground school, don't get on a soap box and tell those here that they need to change cultures...
You have no idea what is covered. I'll tell you this much, a crap load more than the 121 initial and recurrent I've been through.

Just because more material is covered, doesn't make it pertinent material.

Also, the light pistons flying around the SE will fly circles around anything you've ever flown at Pinnacle corps in terms of avionics.

Uh, ok.

Sorry dude, you've been called out and don't have a leg to stand on in this debate. Not just by me, your dear, dear friend either.

Doesn't mean he is right.

Explain to me why that video isn't dangerous?

I don't see a tremendous risk to bodily harm, probably no more than me taking my horse or dirt bike out for a spin.

He is certainly exposing his aircraft to more peril than you would find at your average airport.

I don't really care to know why you think it's dangerous. I am curious why you care.

It is really a matter if ignorance for someone to throw safety spears at types of flying that they have no experience with.

I've heard the same comments about most of the flying I've done in the military fighter world -- types of flying that the vast majority of the civilian flying world has never even experienced, much less have enough perspective to make educated/informed risk management decisions about.

For guys whose only professional flying experience has been in the extremely limited world of 121/135 flying, there are a whole lot of types of flying that don't fit into that world's narrow definition of what is "safe". Look no further than the other thread in which the dive-and-drive method of flying a nonprecision approach has been declared unnecessarily risky if you want to see evidence of that. This may be a perfectly valid risk management line in the sand for that world, but it does not mean that line objectively applies to all types of aviation.

The same thing goes for Alaska flying. There are lots of types of judgment, airmanship, and decisionmaking that are commonplace to Alaska flying that are not common to the lower 48. That does not make Alaskan airmanship objectively dangerous or risky by any stretch. No more than having 200-hour military students take supersonic jets out to fly night close formation is objectively bad airmanship or judgment.

I don't see a tremendous risk to bodily harm, probably no more than me taking my horse or dirt bike out for a spin.

He is certainly exposing his aircraft to more peril than you would find at your average airport.

I don't really care to know why you think it's dangerous. I am curious why you care.
Yep, he's going a wopping 4 mph! Oh the HUGE MANITY!

My ONLY concern with trying something like that out would be damaging the plane to the point where I'd no have to walk out of the middle of no where.

Since @Seggy likes to talk about safety culture and put 121 on a pedastal of perfection. Statisically, part 91 business aviation has the best safety record in all of aviation. HALF the accident rate of 121 per 10,000 hours in fact. I'm not attacking you Seggy, just saying. :)

Yep, he's going a wopping 4 mph! Oh the HUGE MANITY!

My ONLY concern with trying something like that out would be damaging the plane to the point where I'd no have to walk out of the middle of no where.

Since @Seggy likes to talk about safety culture and put 121 on a pedastal of perfection. Statisically, part 91 business aviation has the best safety record in all of aviation. HALF the accident rate of 121 per 10,000 hours in fact. I'm not attacking you Seggy, just saying. :)
That's why you bring duct tape and some tools. You're going to fly it out or possibly live there for a while.... so fly it out if physics allow.

Seggy, have you ever landed on a wet runway?
This video shows a wet runway.

Have you ever landed on a grass strip?
This video shows the same thing.

Since you failed to understand what I wrote about ground school maybe you'll understand this: both of my Alaskan 135 ground school's covered a vast amount MORE pertinent information than my 121 gig.

As for the avionics in the 135 aircraft. Once again you have no idea what you are talking about. I, and others sit back and smirk. I can't help but think, man you look silly. Do yourself a favor and google 'capstone.' Ill wait.
Then I want you to explain to me how a CRJ 900 can pull off what a PA32 is capable of doing.

Which of course leads me to this:
You have assumed that a bush pilot is dangerous because YOU aren't capable of doing what you just saw. This tells me a lot about you. You look at a gravel bar (aka challenge) and go, "Nope!"
Others look at this and say, "how can I learn to do that!"

I encourage you to visit Alaska and see the beauty, but do all of us a favor: Stay out of the airspace.

None, but it doesn't take one who has been through a training program to share facts from the Flight Safety Foundation.

Every time one is critical of something in Alaska, those who have flown up there LOVE to tell others they haven't and those who haven't should shut up. Ok, but that is something we call group think.

Well, we really don't.

Excellent video and excellent airman ship.

Due to camera placement, I initially thought I was looking at a giant scale r/c video with the motor dubbed in. I would say the pilot knows the aircraft limits and apparently has the skills to reliably fly the aircraft in the profiles he flew.

While I may be able to develop the skills, I doubt I could develop the feel he has for his plane. Hopefully I will be able to develop the feel of an aircraft to the degree he has demonstrated.

Unfortunately, there's too many missions and not enough time for me to do that. Damn.....

Due to camera placement, I initially thought I was looking at a giant scale r/c video with the motor dubbed in. I would say the pilot knows the aircraft limits and apparently has the skills to reliably fly the aircraft in the profiles he flew.

While I may be able to develop the skills, I doubt I could develop the feel he has for his plane. Hopefully I will be able to develop the feel of an aircraft to the degree he has demonstrated.

Unfortunately, there's too many missions and not enough time for me to do that. Damn.....
If you ever watch the full video with the interviews. This guy has a friggen spiritual connection to that airplane. At any rate, PLENTY of power to get out of trouble.

When people say 'watch this' in an airplane it means they are doing something stupid.

I have had more than a few airline students - I don't think it is fair to reach conclusions about the safety of an operation based solely upon how it looks. Which to be fair, often looks impressive when it is something you are not accustomed to seeing. I am sure a 121 cockpit would scare the crap out of me.

Not good, not bad, but I think we do have an opportunity to learn and sometimes apply other types of risk management from different types of flying. I certainly have, anyway. And short unimproved fields are a normal thing for me on occasion.

Cool video, BTW.

Seggy, have you ever landed on a wet runway?
This video shows a wet runway.

Have you ever landed on a grass strip?
This video shows the same thing.

Since you failed to understand what I wrote about ground school maybe you'll understand this: both of my Alaskan 135 ground school's covered a vast amount MORE pertinent information than my 121 gig.

As for the avionics in the 135 aircraft. Once again you have no idea what you are talking about. I, and others sit back and smirk. I can't help but think, man you look silly. Do yourself a favor and google 'capstone.' Ill wait.
Then I want you to explain to me how a CRJ 900 can pull off what a PA32 is capable of doing.

Which of course leads me to this:
You have assumed that a bush pilot is dangerous because YOU aren't capable of doing what you just saw. This tells me a lot about you. You look at a gravel bar (aka challenge) and go, "Nope!"
Others look at this and say, "how can I learn to do that!"

I encourage you to visit Alaska and see the beauty, but do all of us a favor: Stay out of the airspace.

Well stated post. I liked it 'til the last line. I presume you were joking, but it was a tad ad hominem. :O

If you're old enough, Spray, Baby, Spray. Too young?...you could end up with three headed kids.

Back