Steep Spirals

We do them at 3300-3500. The airplane flying handbook states that it should end no lower than 1000 agl unless combined with a emergency approach to landing. Works out perfect every time in an arrow.

[ QUOTE ]
A steep spiral is basically an emergency descent? No way. Big difference. You're often way over Va durning an emergency descent. Emergency descent is if you've depressurized, or have a fire and need to get down NOW. Steep spiral is to get yourself down to a field that you want to land in but are too high (i.e. engine failure).

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't consider an engine failure an emergency? I guess I should have worded it differently. How does power off gliding spiraling emergency descending manuever sound? I agree, it's definitely different than an emergency descent, where you can take it all the way up to the red arc and you're not gliding around a point.

EatSleepFly,

Way over Va in an emergency descent??? That depends on the CHOICE of descent method. Are you refering to the dive in the yellow arc hell er' high water??

smile.gif

I for one have no interest in having a student perform this maneuver with imminent stall signals... this is not a MAX performance meneuver..

(right out of the FAA handbook) .. the OBJECTIVE of the the steep spiral is as a training maneuver and the FAA only in passing recognizes its usefullness as a tool for "remaining over a selected spot in preperation for an emergency forced landings"... no one ever said this is a maneuver for forced DESCENT (ie: fire, depressurization, etc..)

i am curious to any documents from the FAA that came about at the time that the maneuver was re-introduced.

[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't consider an engine failure an emergency? I guess I should have worded it differently. How does power off gliding spiraling emergency descending manuever sound? I agree, it's definitely different than an emergency descent, where you can take it all the way up to the red arc and you're not gliding around a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I would most certainly consider it an emergency- didn't mean it to sound like I wouldn't. But I'm not going to be in any hurry to get down if I'm already over my landing point.

[ QUOTE ]
Way over Va in an emergency descent??? That depends on the CHOICE of descent method. Are you refering to the dive in the yellow arc hell er' high water??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, usually up to yellow line (140 kts. in the Seminole, 35-45 degree bank turns on the way down to clear the area), or higher. In any case, thats higher than Va.

My point was that these are two totally different maneuvers. The only similarity is that they're both used in emergency situations (albeit in totally different emergency situations). The steep spiral after maybe an engine failure and the emergency descent after a fire, or rapid decomp.

EatSleepFly,

Yeah, I thought that was what you were referring to in terms of emergency descent. Still, at least for me, the FAA handbook is clear in this regard that its not an emergency descent.. spiralling dive in the Seminole?? Ihavent begun my multi training yet, but that sure sounds fun
smile.gif
:):)

Back