STC's and 337's question.

TripleSticks

Is there a database where I can check to see what STC's and 337's have been completed on a plane by searching the tail number or serial number?

I want to check to see that we have all the appropriate paperwork for a plane that I fly. I have copy's of 337's and STC's but I don't know if I have them for everything that was done on the plane since it's been around a while and has been owned by multiple different people.

I would also like to get a copy of an STC. Is there a place where I can get that as well?

Thanks,
j

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...on/aircraft_registry/copies_aircraft_records/

You can go to the FAA website at the above web address and request a copy of aircraft records. I've done it for an aircraft that I was working on.....wanted to see the 337's that were on file with the FAA. It cost $10 for the CD. This information will let you know if a 337 has been done and if there is an STC done to the aircraft, it will need a corresponding 337 on file.
If you think something has been done to the aircraft and it wasn't certified that way, you should be seeing a 337 for it. As far as getting a copy of an STC...what aircraft are you looking for and what specific STC is in question? You can try to find someone who has an STC already and ask to see what the STC consist of or you can go to the company that holds the STC and ask if you could get info on what an STC consist of. The FAA website also has info on STC's and companies that hold the rights to specific STC's.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Some of the listed STC's have text info so you can see what the STC is about.

Hope this helps a lil' bit.....if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to speak up.

Pac Man

Thanks for the info. That will definitely help me out. It looks like everything is checking out fine except I'm missing a copy of an STC.

The STC that I'm looking for is STC SA 3828SW. It's mentioned in one of the 337's that I have but I don't have a copy of the STC. It's probably mixed in the paperwork with another plane.

j

Good for you for doing the research. Do make sure you or aircarft owner comes up with right STC paperwork. I tried doing a search for that STC and didn't come up with anything....what is it for and what kind of aircraft are you flying? Just curious...that's all.

Pac Man

It's the STC for a camera hole in a plane. I'm a pilot for an aerial surveying place.

Like I said. It looks like everything is in order except I can't find this STC. I have the 337 but as I understand it... I should have a copy of the STC in the plane as well.

I ordered up the CD's just to double check everything. The plane has changed hands a few times and it just got me thinking. I don't want to be surprized in a ramp check. That's for sure.

j

JOHN.....if you have a 337 that mentions an STC, they you definitely want to have the paperwork with the rest of the important logs. You can always call the company that holds ownership of the STC and request a duplicate copy. For that sort of STC, it will be specific to the serial/registration number of that aircraft. FYI.... You can't take an approved STC for another aircraft and copy the STC paperwork and do a mod to other aircraft with it. If you had a fleet of similar airplanes, you would pay for the STC for each specific airplane. If the paperwork is missing, get the owner involved to track it down....ultimately, it is his responsibility to ensure aircraft has all of the proper documentation for mods.
How long have you been doing aerial surveying?

Thanks for the info. It's now moved up on the list of things to do.

I've been flying surveying C-402's for about 8 months. Most people say they hate doing stuff like this but I really like it. I don't have to work very hard and I get paid well. lol. The nice thing is that I don't have to head to the regionals. That wasn't something that I wanted to do at all. Hopefully it all works out in the big picture.

j

Back