"Station" Fire outside of LA

Trying to get me all worked up Mike? We were flying on the Morris fire, then station fire last week starting on Tuesday but it is almost like the press corps launches the second the 10 or 747 go. Oh and typical reporters not knowing what they are talking about.

:D Not at all!

The only thing I'd say about the 747 vs the DC-10, is at least Evergreen has experience in the airtanker business, moreso than the 10 Tanker company (or whatever they're called). From the P-2Vs to the B-17 to even the extensive helo ops, at least they have some background to draw upon.

Of course, the 747/DC-10 getting all the limelight......they're just the newest shiny "SnapOn" tool in the toolbox. I imagine that once they get a little greasy, they'll just be another tool in the box like any other.....nothing special.

Of course, this will work you up.....one pilot I was talking to said "Why don't the 747 and DC-10 get IA carded like everyone else, look how great they're doing and how easy they make it look!!"

(remember, I was just the messenger on that last one!....)

See the photo of T23 putting the stop on the fire by the house... the 74 and 10 cannot do that at all... plus while the 74 and 10 are setting up for the drop there is 10000 gallons of retardent in a hold (four type 1 tankers) that could get into the canyons where the fire is threatening homes...I'm sure there will be applications for these supertankers, but not in the tight urban-wildland interface under most circumstances.

See the photo of T23 putting the stop on the fire by the house... the 74 and 10 cannot do that at all... plus while the 74 and 10 are setting up for the drop there is 10000 gallons of retardent in a hold (four type 1 tankers) that could get into the canyons where the fire is threatening homes...I'm sure there will be applications for these supertankers, but not in the tight urban-wildland interface under most circumstances.

That's where the ATGS in the Air Attack plane needs to allocate resources and make the tactical reccomendations of what tool to use when.

Not the fault of the VLATs, as they don't get in the game unless allowed to. My take is that the powers that be are trying to throw whatever they can over the fire in some instances. If the VLATs are available, then they're getting thrown in too, sometimes withour the tactical utility being considered it seems.

Is MAFFS activated too?

That's where the ATGS in the Air Attack plane needs to allocate resources and make the tactical reccomendations of what tool to use when.

Not the fault of the VLATs, as they don't get in the game unless allowed to. My take is that the powers that be are trying to throw whatever they can over the fire in some instances. If the VLATs are available, then they're getting thrown in too, sometimes withour the tactical utility being considered it seems.

Is MAFFS activated too?
There was talk about it but no. Remember that the VLAT's was on CA dime, not Fed, and MAFFS is fed $$$ and it is costly. No offense to my AF brethren, but the AF rarely does anything without a huge footprint.

Back