Static Port on Piper Arrow

**DONOTDELETE**

Can anyone explain why the Piper Arrow III has two static ports (one on each side of the fuselage), while the Piper Archer and Seminole only have one static port?!?

Thanks,

Buckman

no big reason. cherokees, (the older 180 hp at least) had dual ports. reasoning was if one gets munged up ice and so on.. you have a spare.

Not only does it give you a spare, as Eagle noted, but the dual system is also considered more accurate. The vents on either side of the fuselage are connected in a "Y" configuration and help decrease static errors created by yaw in comparison to a system with only one port.

Are you sure about that? Our entire basic fleet is comprised of the Piper Archer III. All have the single static port located on the rear part of the pitot tube.

The Arrow does have the dual static ports in the rear fuselage. Like said above, they provide better information due to the "Y" configuration during slip/skid turns and other such maneuvers.

I'm with FlyChicaga. I fly 2001 Archers everyday and they only have the pitot tube off the left wing where the static port is found. I believe you are confused with the Arrow.

A little off base but i had an instructor once that told me if for some reason the static port failed and you needed the airspeed and alt you could break the face on the VSI. and it would act as a static port. Anyone else know this to be a fact.

This will work as the static air will come from cockpit. The reasoning behind breaking the face of the VSI as apposed to another static instrument is mainly because of its lower cost and that it is not required for VFR or IFR flight.

In the Piper Arrow/Archer, it's not THAT much of a worry, since there is an Alternate Static Source under the Pilot's yoke that will fix the problem (to a point). However smashing the VSI will help, although there will be instrument error. Kinda a "last dtich" effort.

Back