State of the Industry Address…

Cactus_Cutter

Here is a complied list of pilots and furloughs broken down by different industry segments.

Enjoy!

Legacy (6 Companies)
Total Pilots: 41,370
Furloughed Pilots: 3,377
Unemployment Rate: 8.2%
Number of Companies Hiring: 0

Major LLC (19 Companies)
Total Pilots: 29,087
Furloughed Pilots: 829
Unemployment Rate: 2.9%
Number of Companies Hiring: 4

Regional (18 Companies):
Total Pilots: 7,300
Furloughed Pilots: 313
Unemployment Rate: 4.3%
Number of Companies Hiring: 6

Fractional (7 Companies):
Total Pilots: 4,773
Furloughed Pilots: 95
Unemployment Rate: 2.0%
Number of Companies Hiring: 3

Charter (9 Companies):
Total Pilots: 1640
Furloughed Pilots: 30
Unemployment Rate: 1.9%
Number of Companies Hiring: 7

Cargo (23 Companies):
Total Pilots: 11919
Furloughed Pilots: 187
Unemployment Rate: 1.6%
Number of Companies Hiring: 13

Legacy (6 Companies)

Major LLC (19 Companies)

Regional (18 Companies):

Am I reading this right? According to your numbers, there are 70,457 "Mainline" pilots and 7,300 "Regional" pilots. Not being in the industry, I don't know. But the impression I got from this site is that the regional pilots are taking the mainline pilots jobs, more in the range of 50/50 or worse.

The numbers you listed suggest to me that 10% are regional and 90% fly for mainline carriers. According to these numbers, regional flying isn't nearly the threat to mainline as everyone makes it out to be.

Or am I missing something. Educate me:D

My post refers to 121 flying

Per the DOT here is the list of major airlines.
AirTran
Alaska
Allegiant
American Eagle
ASA
Comair
ExpressJet
Frontier
Hawaiian
JetBlue
Mesa
Midwest
Republic
SkyWest
Southwest
Spirit
Sun Country
USA 3000
Virgin America

As you can see some are regional airlines.

Ah, OK. I was assuming, we know what ASSUME means :), that the Majors equated to mainline. Looks to me that at least half are regional. The category is a little missleading.

"Regional"

Ah, OK. I was assuming, we know what ASSUME means :), that the Majors equated to mainline. Looks to me that at least half are regional. The category is a little missleading.

The regional airlines, eventually, need to go away.

They have disrupted the status quo but it is not the regional airline pilot's faults.

Scope must be re-captured by mainline. Delta/NWA failed to do this during this JPWA for reasons we non-MECers may never know. Likely that they felt it was a lost cause this time around (because a lot of other things were 'nailed down') and that they might as well focus the efforts on something that was actually possible.

I guarantee NWA, Inc. is angry right now because oil has come down in price.
- They were looking forward to screwing over the state of Minnesota in BK (MSP)
- They were looking forward to screwing over the city of Minneapolis in BK
et cetera

I am trying to get this group sorted out and make more like a step career progression. Certainly all could not be hired Southwest, Alaska, JetBlue, etc, without some prior professional flying experience in 121 or 135 world. For now I just kept it as per DOT specifications…

What fractionals have furloughed? I know Flops terminated 75 a few months ago, but have not heard of any furloughes.

Alex.

Where'd you get this list, Cactus, or did you compile it yourself?

Most of the data comes from A.P.C. I am trying to organize it into a spreadsheet and keep a historical track of it on a timely basis. I want to see any hiring/furloughing trends/signals in the various sectors of this industry. I am also keeping track in fleet additions/reductions...

Most of the data comes from A.P.C. I am trying to organize it into a spreadsheet and keep a historical track of it on a timely basis. I want to see any hiring/furloughing trends/signals in the various sectors of this industry. I am also keeping track in fleet additions/reductions...

Great idea. Maybe you should update this thread every month or so!

Michael

Here is a complied list of pilots and furloughs broken down by different industry segments.

Enjoy!

Legacy (6 Companies)

Major LLC (19 Companies)

Regional (18 Companies):

Charter (9 Companies):
Total Pilots: 1640
Furloughed Pilots: 30
Unemployment Rate: 1.9%
Number of Companies Hiring: 7

Cargo (23 Companies):
Total Pilots: 11919
Furloughed Pilots: 187
Unemployment Rate: 1.6%
Number of Companies Hiring: 13

And 76 of these are PSA pilots:rolleyes:

Interesting concept, but using APC data isn't going to give an accurate representation of the fractional business.

There are more than 7 fractionals. (Only 4 "jet" fracs)
There are more than 4700 pilots. NJA alone composes 3000.
Our sister company NJI is very much a part and they are not listed on APC.
The pilots "furloughed" at OPTS, were terminated....but have now been "returned."

Dayjet is not a fractional, it's an on demand air taxi service. Not sure why it is listed as a frac.

If I were going to monitor fractionals, I would attempt to watch the "Big 4," NJA, OPTS, Flex and CS.

Re: "Regional"

Scope must be re-captured by mainline. Delta/NWA failed to do this during this JPWA for reasons we non-MECers may never know. Likely that they felt it was a lost cause this time around (because a lot of other things were 'nailed down') and that they might as well focus the efforts on something that was actually possible.

It could also be because the JPWA was more an LOA type of negotiation and not full Section 6. I guess we could have just gone to sec. 6, but we wouldn't have a new contract for the next 3-4 years then.

Back