State Dept. flying jobs...not sure if this is right forum

juan valdez

I'm still a ways away from finishing my training but was wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting a job with the State Dept. For example I've seen pix of their drug enforcement guys over in Afghanistan hunting for drug lords and what not flying around in helo's. Is this a hard job to get into? Anyone have any info on it at all?

Re: State Dept. flying jobs...not sure if this is right foru

I think you would be surprised to find that allot of the border patrol, surveillance etc, is done by private companies (eg Blackwater, and others). Many of them require allot of time though. Others should be able to provide more help.

However two summers ago some company, no idea who, came into my flight school asking CFIs if they'd be interested in doing border patrol in the (unarmed) Diamond DA-42. There were no takers, but it was good for a laugh.

Re: State Dept. flying jobs...not sure if this is right foru

If you are talking about civilian contract jobs, there are a few good threads about this on flightinfo.

Search for keywords: L3 Vertex, Blackwater, Dynamic Aviation, Phoenix Air, Iraq, Contract

Generally they prefer previous austere condition experience and a personal situation allowing for extended periods of deployment.

Be careful what you wish for, like any job the cool factor wears off after a while.

The other way to fly for the state department is of course to join the military ;].

Back