Starting with students

Xcaliber

El Chupacabra
Hey guys, need some clarification here. I used to instruct at a part 141 school, and as such, had a very good records department that handeled all the paperwork and what not with enrolling students. I just recently got hired at an FBO to do some part 61 instruction. As they put it, "It's essentially your own business". So in other words, I get to do everything myself. I'm ok with that, but I just want to make sure I get everything taken care of at the beginning that I need to.

I've taken care of my 12 month TSA training requirement, so that's ok. My questions are about enrolling students. If they're a citizen or national, all I have to do is get a copy of their passport or birth certificate/photo id, and then keep that for 5 years, correct? If they're not a citizen or national, I have to go through the requirements of 1552.

I feel like I'm missing something. Are there any other government required documents/forms I need to have done before beginning flight training with a new student?

Hey guys, need some clarification here. I used to instruct at a part 141 school, and as such, had a very good records department that handeled all the paperwork and what not with enrolling students. I just recently got hired at an FBO to do some part 61 instruction. As they put it, "It's essentially your own business". So in other words, I get to do everything myself. I'm ok with that, but I just want to make sure I get everything taken care of at the beginning that I need to.

I've taken care of my 12 month TSA training requirement, so that's ok. My questions are about enrolling students. If they're a citizen or national, all I have to do is get a copy of their passport or birth certificate/photo id, and then keep that for 5 years, correct? If they're not a citizen or national, I have to go through the requirements of 1552.

I feel like I'm missing something. Are there any other government required documents/forms I need to have done before beginning flight training with a new student?
US citizen, you are correct; 1552 says the flight school needs to keep the records, but I keep a copy just in case

As to non citizens the only ones I have done already had TSA authorizations so I got a copy of that and they had it with them whenever they flew.

Back when I was freelancing I simply looked at their proof of citizenship, then wrote an endorsement in their logbook. That eliminated the need to keep a photocopy for five years.

At my current school, we keep photocopies on file, but we have an easier solution to non-US citizens--we don't accept them.

It means we have to turn away a small percentage of prospective business, but we've found the reduction in paperwork and scrutiny from the TSA is worth it.

You can make an endorsment in BOTH yours and their log book, OR get a copy of their proof and keep it for 5 years...I would go for the endorsment

Back