Starting the job hunt

pilotmike327

So my vacation here in Europe is coming to an end. Now when I head back I have to start the dreaded job-hunting. What do you guys think is the best option:

1) Dispatcher: Looks like the only way to get my foot in the door with actual dispatch experience is working at one of these less-than-recommended regionals. There are a few regionals I would really want to start with but they've recently hired and it will probably be a while before they hire again. I'm in no particular rush and want to make sure the first company I join wont be a mistake that I regret 6 months down the road.

2) Flight following: a possibility but not my first choice.

3) Crew scheduling: I know it's different than dispatching but I would consider if it was a great company with the hopes of eventually moving to the dispatch department.

Thoughts?

Find out what's behind door number one. But you like many others need to make sure it's still revolving! Dispatching is dispatching and experience matters. Don't waste your time as sched if you can avoid it and definitely don't touch Pt. 91 Flight Following with a 10 foot pole. Therese more value in scheduling.

One thing that I would recommend is if you know what your final goal is (ie a major and if so which one) then set the steps in motion to reach that. I had a friend that dispatched for a few years, got hired at WN in scheduling and then moved on to dispatch. Believe he spent less than 2 years in scheduling.

Another friend, same type of scenario but is now with FedEx.

One individual worked the ramp for F9 at IND while dispatching for Republic and then was hired at F9.

Also remember there are other options, if your goal is the FAA as a dispatch inspector, you will have to get into the training aspect.

Best of Luck and welcome back to the land of round door knobs. :)

So with just a DX license but no experience, if I were to just work a ramp at a major I'd be interested in dispatching for, would there be a decent chance of dispatching with them? I probably wouldn't end up doing this (going to a regional for dx experiece seems more ideal) but I'm just curious what the possibilities are. I can definitely think of some companies I'd love to work for, but I wouldn't wanna work a ramp or as a CSA unless I was totally confident it'd open the door to Dx within a decent timeframe.

So with just a DX license but no experience, if I were to just work a ramp at a major I'd be interested in dispatching for, would there be a decent chance of dispatching with them? I probably wouldn't end up doing this (going to a regional for dx experiece seems more ideal) but I'm just curious what the possibilities are. I can definitely think of some companies I'd love to work for, but I wouldn't wanna work a ramp or as a CSA unless I was totally confident it'd open the door to Dx within a decent timeframe.

Really depends on the company, but I would say that is a really bad idea unless you have some kind of knowledge and/or connection that would effectively ensure you a DX position down the road. Not too many companies will do that.

Not sure what to tell you here metal mike. My experience has been similar to what Belugiumania said. Worked Gate and Ramp for a major. I took a couple of visits to their dispatch center and everyone I talked to from dispatchers up to high ranking managers said I would have to leave to get experience to come back.

5 years after taking their "advice", the company has hired multiple times and I have not missed a posting yet It ends the same way, no call.

Majors will hire internally but rarely from the entry level positions. Usually you're looking at having to be within the same office.

So it's really like winning the lottery. Do everything you can to hedge your bet, but at the end of the day you will likely need experience. You won't get that anywhere but a regional, or rarely, a supplemental.

Don't count out supplementals...you will get more experience in 5 years, than most regional dispatchers will get in 10+ yrs. Depending on your carrier, you'll get something that majors view as gold: ETOPS training/experience. I know for a fact that majors love supplemental experience, because several of my former co-workers at RIA had maybe 1-2 years at RIA, and they are now at places like FDX, UPS, SWA, & UAL.

deltabobo said:
Don't count out supplementals...you will get more experience in 5 years, than most regional dispatchers will get in 10+ yrs. Depending on your carrier, you'll get something that majors view as gold: ETOPS training/experience. I know for a fact that majors love supplemental experience, because several of my former co-workers at RIA had maybe 1-2 years at RIA, and they are now at places like FDX, UPS, & UAL.

Backing this post up!

Was trying to figure out how to word that and I failed. I meant that its much tougher to get into the supplementals. Most of us have to go to regionals because even the supplementals usually want to see experience.

Wasn't meant to discount it. In fact I agree that a supplement is probably some of best experience you can get.

Back