starting in june

There was never an expectation of job just because of the FlightSafety name, you would be an idiot if you thought that the name would do it. However, the fact still remains that it does not matter where you train if you work hard and network to get your name out there. Flightsafety charges a premium for their training, in my opinion(and I am just one person) it was not worth it. Due to the unfortunate state of the economy and rapidly declining wages for pilots and more furloughs coming this spring, training for a lower price and exposing yourself to less debt is a probably a good plan. Try this first, find out how much it will cost, then figure out how much the monthly payment is, and then realize how pathetic your pay will be for many years. It does not leave a very large number to live off of. This is not meant to bash Flighsafety but offer an alternative opinion.

I feel your pain, brother..

Hiring freezes ("FSA is now officially on a hiring freeze" - JHoffy December 08'), false start dates for CFI's that left their jobs to come to Vero and train, two new dust collectors on the ramp (...they [172's] will collect dust... - T56Mainiac), nickel-and-diming students now (charging for laundry facilities, charging $15 for worksheet assignment packages for ground school) I thought this was all included in the living and ground school cost?? What's next?? "Examiners Fee" for in house checkrides? Just remember people "I told you so"

-Have a fantastic day:D

There was never an expectation of job just because of the FlightSafety name, you would be an idiot if you thought that the name would do it. However, the fact still remains that it does not matter where you train if you work hard and network to get your name out there. Flightsafety charges a premium for their training, in my opinion(and I am just one person) it was not worth it. Due to the unfortunate state of the economy and rapidly declining wages for pilots and more furloughs coming this spring, training for a lower price and exposing yourself to less debt is a probably a good plan. Try this first, find out how much it will cost, then figure out how much the monthly payment is, and then realize how pathetic your pay will be for many years. It does not leave a very large number to live off of. This is not meant to bash Flighsafety but offer an alternative opinion.

I preferred the CFI route and not the "fast track, shiny cockpit syndrome" back when I finished my ratings. My pay is not "...pathetic..". I make a good living with plenty of time off.

For another opinion, look into flight instructing at a 141 school. Build your aeronautical experience while the market is bad.

Hiring freezes ("FSA is now officially on a hiring freeze" - JHoffy December 08'), false start dates for CFI's that left their jobs to come to Vero and train, two new dust collectors on the ramp (...they [172's] will collect dust... - T56Mainiac), nickel-and-diming students now (charging for laundry facilities, charging $15 for worksheet assignment packages for ground school) I thought this was all included in the living and ground school cost?? What's next?? "Examiners Fee" for in house checkrides? Just remember people "I told you so"

-Have a fantastic day:D

I don't agree with charging customers for the laundry room. As for the $15 spent on worksheets......well, do what I did back in the day and buy 1 worksheet and copy the rest for your classmates. Always look for loop holes.:nana2:

I've read through all the posts and as for somebody who just went through the flight safety ordeal, I would say go the FBO route. One thing this gentleman said caught my attention "structure" and that was my reason for going there, being military trained I figured it was the best bet for me. One thing you have to realize is this is a business their there to train you "Not help you" remember that. If you have trouble getting yourself jump started to study or to get through manuevers that you should be grasping by the 5th or 6th time of you performing them, flight safety is not the place for you, unless you have a butt load of money because believe me - you will perform to standard each lesson or YOU WILL REPEAT THAT LESSON. Don't get me wrong you learn quite a bit but that's because you get fed up with repeating lessons, so you will do the things you need to do take make yourself successful. So why don't you put the same amount of energy that you should have from the start and apply it at the FBO.

I went through their commercial multi add-on and it just wasn't worth it. It's the luck of the draw which instructor you get and if he or she is really a good instructor and some folks there are so smart that their horrible instructors. I finished the multi-private and went to American flyers and finished up the instrument in a week. Now with American flyers the gemick is were expensive right of the bat, but we will get you done in the shortest amount of time it's up to you.

The knowledge you need to attain is not any different from a pilot at an FBO or a pilot at an Academy. Remember this the shortest distance to a point is a straight line so why take an academy curve.

I will say this again, this is a business and their plan is to train you to thier standard regardless of how long it takes you that's how flight safety makes their money and that's how the instructors get paid.

If your a prior military pilot in whatever, you do not need an academy of any kind to get the remainder of your licenses, you just need to find a part 141 school that's it. My buddy Ian tried to tell me that, but I was hard headed - I had to find out for myself.

I preferred the CFI route and not the "fast track, shiny cockpit syndrome" back when I finished my ratings" (T56)

"Shiny Jet Syndrom" Thanks for assuming I am an idiot, appreciate it! I did my time as an instructor at a different airport btw. If you are implying that I paid for a direct track program you are incorrect. It is already extremely expensive, you would have to be insane to drop another $25,000 to make $20 an hour at ASA and seeing as they are furloughing it would have been a bad mistake. Now there are additional "fees"? So now on top of paying a 30-40% premium per flight hour for the "flighsafety name(which again means nothing)" now you have to pay for paper? And if someone is in their first few years of flying and thinks their pay is not pathetic than that is exactly the reason why pay will continue to be way too low. Too many people drinking the cool aid.........

I did my time as an instructor at a different airport btw. If you are implying that I paid for a direct track program you are incorrect. It is already extremely expensive, you would have to be insane to drop another $25,000 to make $20 an hour at ASA and seeing as they are furloughing it would have been a bad mistake.

Calm down crj....you need a hug. I assumed because I didn't see anything else to say otherwise. What school did you teach at and for how many hours?

CRJ quoted:
"And if someone is in their first few years of flying and thinks their pay is not pathetic than that is exactly the reason why pay will continue to be way too low. Too many people drinking the cool aid........."

crj......it's what you make it, pay or no pay. That's why I have a "...sugar momma..." :nana2: Yes, I'm kidding.......

Back